Admin/Med Secretary/Sect II - 24 hours, 7:30a-4p or 8:30a-5p, MLK Day and Veterans Day required
The Administrative Medical Secretary for the Laboratory performs a wide variety of secretarial and administrative duties requiring knowledge of the hospital's organizational structure and the Laboratory goals and objectives.
Reports to the Administrative Director of the Laboratory.
1. High School Diploma.
2. Knowledge of Medical terminology and/or experience in a medical office.
3. Ability to use a computer terminal for retrieving laboratory test results and billing data entry.
4. Ability to handle simultaneous requests and telephone.
5. Knowledge of laboratory procedures.
6. Exercise discretion and good judgment.
7. Excellent typing required.
8. Maintain patient confidentiality.
1. TEAM WORK
A. Involves other departments in project planning and implementation.
B. Supports others in the department and provides help and assistance when possible.
C. Regularly attends and participates in team and/or departmental meetings and activities.
D. Keeps others in the department informed of relevant information.
E. Regularly offers and requests constructive feedback and coaching.
F. Establishes and maintains effective working relations.
2. SERVICE EXCELLENCE (both internal and external)
A. Welcomes patients/customers/employees in a warm, friendly manner.
B. Actively listens and constructively responds to questions and concerns in a timely manner.
C. Ensures that the dignity of the patient/customer/employee is maintained at all times.
D. Abides by and upholds the hospital’s service excellence standards.
E. Respects the diversity of the patient/customer/employee population.
F. Demonstrates safe and effective use of equipment.
1. Receive and greet visitors and staff. Perform clerical duties.
2. Retrieve from computer and report test results via telephone.
3. Address mail.
4. Manual entry of clinical lab and pathology billing.
5. Maintain hospital stock supplies for department and type vendor orders, keeping inventory records of supplies received.
6. Operate copy machine. Type correspondence, memos and requisitions as requested.
7. Distribution of incoming mail. Perform duties under the direction of Administrative supervisors with minimal supervision.
8. Preparing, packaging slides and reports for consultation to other hospitals.
9. Prepare slides and reports for Tissue, Tumor, Surgical Boards and Mortality Review.
10. Transcription as needed.
11. Code surgical specimens.
12. Participates in training of new employees as needed.
13. Establishes and maintains good rapport and cooperative working attitude with coworkers and other hospital employees as well as patients and visitors.
14. Adheres to all safety and infection control policies and procedures.
Job Status: Part Time
Job Reference #: 12930