Under the supervision of the Practice Manager or Director of Operations, the administrative assistant will primarily perform a variety of front desk duties and clerical duties to which he/she is assigned.
· Work closely with the department surgeons to ensure accurate booking of surgeries
· Obtain surgical authorizations from insurance companies as needed including workers comp cases
· Schedule pre-admission testing for surgical patients
· Work with the vendors to arrange necessary surgical equipment for the surgeries where needed
· Schedule History & Physical appointments for surgical patients
· Communicate closely with patients about the scheduling of their surgeries. Return patient enquiries about their surgery in a timely fashion.
· Schedule surgery related diagnostic studies and imaging etc.
· Scan all surgery related documents into Athena
· All other things related to surgical scheduling
· Check pts in/out at the front desk ensuring all demographic & insurance information is updated and a co-pay collected where applicable
· Verify referral requirement. Request referrals where needed.
· Answer department phones in a customer friendly and welcoming manner per the policy of Steward Medical Group. Ensure proper triage of all calls.
· Schedule patient appointments for the department ensuring proper referrals are in place/requests sent where missing.
· Schedule MRI & CT appointments and obtain authorizations as appropriate.
· Verify insurance coverage for all patients being seen by the orthopedic providers prior to scheduling them in the department.
· Enter professional and hospital charges into Athena & Meditech in a timely fashion. Work on insurance claims in the hold buckets in a timely fashion.
· Perform all clerical and secretarial services including typing, photocopying and mail sorting
· Assist in special projects as requested
· Attend department meetings
· Perform other duties as requested
· Maintain confidentiality of patient information per HIPAA
High School Diploma or equivalent required
Prior surgical scheduling experience within a hospital or medical practice preferred.
Strong computer skills especially with MS Office Suite.
The ability to successfully multitask projects is required.
Excellent organizational and communication skills.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 8592