Under the supervision of the Practice Manager or Director of Operations, the administrative assistant will primarily perform a variety of front desk duties and clerical duties to which he/she is assigned.
- Work closely with the department surgeons to ensure accurate booking of surgeries
- Obtain surgical authorizations from insurance companies as needed including workers comp cases
- Schedule pre-admission testing for surgical patients
- Work with the vendors to arrange necessary surgical equipment for the surgeries where needed
- Schedule History & Physical appointments for surgical patients
- Communicate closely with patients about the scheduling of their surgeries. Return patient inquiries about their surgery in a timely fashion.
- Schedule surgery related diagnostic studies and imaging etc.
- Scan all surgery related documents into Athena
- All other things related to surgical scheduling
- Check pts in/out at the front desk ensuring all demographic & insurance information is updated, and a copay collected where applicable
- Verify referral requirement. Request referrals where needed.
- Answer department phones in a customer friendly and welcoming manner per the policy of Steward Medical Group. Ensure proper triage of all calls.
- Schedule patient appointments for the department ensuring proper referrals are in place/requests sent where missing.
- Schedule MRI & CT appointments and obtain authorizations as appropriate.
- Verify insurance coverage for all patients being seen by providers prior to scheduling them in the department.
- Enter professional and hospital charges into Athena & Meditech in a timely fashion. Work on insurance claims in the hold buckets in a timely fashion.
- Perform all clerical and secretarial services including typing, photocopying and mail sorting
- Assist in special projects as requested
- Attend department meetings
- Perform other duties as requested
- Maintain confidentiality of patient information per HIPAA
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Prior surgical scheduling experience within a hospital or medical practice preferred.
- The ability to successfully multitask projects is required.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
Steward Medical Group is taking additional necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and mask policy is required for patient and colleague safety.
About Steward Health Care System:
Steward Health Care’s physician-led model was created to provide patient’s access to the highest-quality care at a sustainable cost, providing personalized, and coordinated ongoing medical services that positively impact patients’ physical, emotional, and mental well-being.
Founded in 2010, Steward Health Care is the nation’s largest accountable care organization (ACO), with more than 5,500 providers and 43,000 health care professionals who care for 12.3 million patients a year through its network of hospitals, urgent care centers, skilled nursing facilities, and behavioral health services. Steward received a perfect 100% quality rating by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Service’s (CMS) Medicare Shared Savings Program (MSSP) in 2020.
Based in Dallas, Steward is the largest private, physician-led health care network and currently operates 39 hospitals across Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.