Location: Saint Anne's Hospital
Posted Date: 12/21/2021
The Cardiology Nurse Practitioner (NP) provides care to patients with acute and chronic cardiovascular conditions including patients undergoing cardiac catheterization procedures, Electrophysiology procedures and patients admitted to inpatient and observation level of care. The Cardiology NP utilizes advanced nursing knowledge to identify, prevent, or solve complex and/or recurring patient care problems. In collaboration with the physician, the NP follows and manages patients enhancing many aspects of patient care including core measures, patient throughput, and efficient coordination of care after discharge. In addition to direct patient assessment and treatment, the Cardiology NP provides consultative services, inter and intradepartmental liaison, education, and clinical performance improvement leadership. The Cardiology NP will incorporate both independent decision making abilities and collaborate with the physicians, interdisciplinary care team, and leadership to provide expert care to the patients. This position will include rotating weekend coverage.
- Support efficient management of inpatient and observation patients with known/potential cardiac diagnoses such as chest pain, syncope, dysrhythmias.
- Assure that all cardiac observation patients are seen at least daily
- Assist in arranging for inpatient diagnostic testing and in triaging for the ambulatory site those tests that are not essential for a safe discharge plan.
- Assist with initial and follow up cardiology consult visits under the supervision/ direction of the attending cardiologist.
- Exercise Stress, Stress Echo and Stress Nuclear Administration.
- Assist with the admission and discharge of outpatients presenting for cath lab procedures (diagnostic cardiac catheterization, electrophysiology/pacemaker procedures)
- Responsibilities include:
- Admission History and Physicals
- Ordering and Interpreting Lab and Diagnostic Studies
- Initiating emergency measures
- Discharge summary
- Discharge planning
- Cath lab pre-procedure assessment
- Cath lab assessment for Moderate sedation
- Management of cath access site issues
- Management of pacemaker site/wounds
- Patient teaching
- Augment the hospital's patient education and discharge planning for patients with CHF who are at risk for readmission
- Provide targeted educational materials and appropriate patient teach-back activities, etc.
- Assure timely outpatient follow up for cardiac patients at high risk for readmission.
- Participate in on-call assignments and demonstrate flexibility to cover staffing as needed.
- Analyze pertinent clinical data, communicate findings and document information appropriately.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary care team to facilitate a comprehensive plan of care and coordination of resources.
- Monitors patient outcomes in accordance with defined standards of patient care.
- Identifies system-wide factors contributing to undesirable outcomes, such as complications, increased length of stay, and overutilization of resources.
- Participates in the development of formal and informal educational programs for hospital based staff.
- Actively participate in patient safety and clinical process improvement projects.
- Administer all medications/procedural sedation according to hospital policy.
- Becomes proficient in placing central lines
- Document according to policies and procedures.
- Adhere to hospital policies and procedures; support the mission of the hospital.
- Maintain a safe working environment to include radiation safety/appropriate personal protection attire.
- Communicate effectively with peers, managers, ancillary departments and other customers.
- Cardiac Cath Lab/ Electrophysiology (EP)
- Assist with admission and discharge of patients presenting to Cath Lab for EP procedures
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Ability to make sound judgments and problem solve
- Ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Excellent Organizational and communication skills
- Education: Completion of Master’s program in Adult Acute Care NP or Adult Primary Care NP required.
- Experience (Type & Length): At least 3-5 years of previous experience working in a dedicated cardiology practice or hospital setting preferred.
- Certification/Licensure: Board certification required from the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners or American Credentialing Center. MA state license required. BLS & ACLS certification required. Medical Staff office ensures DEA/MA Control substance licensure.