Anesthesia Tech (13 weeks contract)
JOB TITLE: Anesthesia Tech, (5/8s)- 13 weeks contract
We believe our people are our strength and we take our employees’ health seriously. From medical coverage and life insurance to retirement plans, paid time off and much more, Steward Health Care provides you with a variety of benefits to address your unique needs.
Retirement & Savings
- Low Cost parking
- Up to 20% employee discount-Gift shop, onsite Café and Cafeteria
St. Joseph Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and
- Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital.
- A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety.
You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
Under the direction and supervision of the Clinical Nurse, Lead Anesthesia Technician prepares, for use during operating procedures, all anesthesia supplies and equipment. Performs a variety of basic technical procedures such as identifying equipment malfunctions, troubleshooting equipment, making minor equipment adjustments and/or reporting repairs as needed. Technical procedures also includes sterilizing equipment according to prescribed policies and procedures, and by using chemical sterilization machinery and techniques, and/or using manual disinfecting techniques, such as opening sterile trays, placement of EKG electrodes, probes and monitors on the patient. Assists the Physician at the bedside with intubation procedures by handling equipment or instruments, and prepping the patient’s skin for the setting up of invasive lines (IV lines). Performs physical environment duties such as periodically checking OR suites, stocking and storage areas to ensure that clean up has taken place before and after procedures. In addition to the Anesthesia Technician duties, the Lead Anesthesia Technician directly supports all Anesthesia Machines and associated monitoring equipment for the Operating Room.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Consistently supports the hospital’s Spirit of Serving Standards, in line with the Mission, Vision and values of St Joseph Medical Center.
2. Follows the St Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
3. Promotes a culture of safety for patients and Associates through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
4. Prepares, maintains and cleans anesthesia machines, equipment and supplies using chemical sterilization methods or by using manual disinfectant techniques in order to ensure that sterile equipment is ready for use.
5. Prepares equipment for use, by checking for proper functioning (i.e. cables, batteries, and minor adjustments prior to use). Assists the Physician and nurses to attach
equipment to the patient, such as monitors and safety devices, pulse oximeters, EKG monitors, transducers, and warming devices.
6. Prepares IV fluids (by selecting proper fluids and setting up on IV poles), blood warmers and transducers; using aseptic technique, for patients as ordered by the physician.
- Inventories, orders and maintains supplies of cylinder gases, monitors proper levels in
tank by checking dials and readings, and adjusts accordingly.
8. Stock rooms with sterile equipment, solutions, housekeeping supplies, linens, and all other necessary items, either as standard room maintenance or with special orders form the Physician or nurse.
9. Sanitizes OR suites and equipment after procedure, following safety guidelines and using appropriate disinfectants, equipment and methods.
- Assists the Nurse and Anesthesiologist as directed by running errands, getting supplies
and monitoring, observing patients, taking vital information, performing patient hygiene
functions for pre-IV insertion, or other patient care duties.
- Transports patients by wheelchair or gurney, to and from the operating room, for pre and
- Processes blood samples and laboratory specimens from patients by ensuring proper
packaging an labeling; contacts the laboratory, and ensures that blood and/or specimens
are transported in a timely manner, and according to prescribed procedures. Secures
laboratory results and ensures that results are relayed to the Physician or nurse either by
verbal report and/or by placement and clear visibility in the patient’s chart. Performs data
entry in order to complete the patient’s lab information in the NOVA computer.
13. Performs physical environment duties, such as cleaning rooms pre and post procedure using appropriate disinfectants and sterilization machinery and methods. Arranges for more extensive clean up if needed, through Environmental Services.
14. Performs preoperative checkout procedures according to FDA recommendations on all anesthesia machines in the OR.
15. Coordinates the repair of malfunctioning equipment with Clinical Engineering.
17. Coordinates all requirements for the Radiometer.
18. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by SJMC and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
- Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Compliance Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
19. Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Two years as an Anesthesia Technician.
Ohmeda Equipment Certification required. Anesthesia Technician Certification preferred.
Education & Training:
A high school diploma or GED equivalent is required for compliance with minimum education requirements as set forth by federal regulations through the Health Care Finance Administration (HCFA) and by the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA). This minimum education requirement is necessary in order to be able to process/run moderately complex blood samples, blood gases, chemistry and hematology samples. Completion of an approved school for Anesthesia Technician preferred.
Must be able to read and follow verbal and written instructions, take measurements and adjust equipment, adhere to basic safety guidelines, and perform other basic duties in the OR environment. Proficiency in surgical aseptic techniques according to AORN standards and recommended procedures. Manual dexterity necessary in order to input Lab data and assist physician with IV hookup and other equipment and instrument functions. Technical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills relevant to patient care necessary in order to efficiently communicate with Physicians and nursing staff, follow directives, determine equipment, supply and patient needs within defined scope of responsibilities. Writes and prints legibly in order to assist the Physician on request.
For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
Bi or Multilingual.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER MINORITIES / WOMEN / VETERANS / DISABLED