Associate Chief Medical Officer
Position: Steward Health Care System is recruiting a System Associate Chief Medical Officer with progressive healthcare management experience, a strong clinical background, and a track record of accomplishments in clinical quality and physician engagement. The ideal candidate will recognize that utilizing evidence based best practice with a steadfast aim for top decile performance will help lead our multidisciplinary team to success.
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit physician-led health care network in the United States. Steward operates 36 hospitals in the United States and operates an International division that currently includes the countries of Malta and Colombia. Steward employs approximately 40,000 employees. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, over 7,900 beds under management, and approximately 1.5 to 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services. The total number of paneled lives within Steward's integrated care network is approximately 2.5 million.
Steward is a physician-led company with strong physician leaders in the Executive Leadership Team.
Quality and Safety, and Patient Experience:
• Ensures implementation of Steward’s Quality and Safety Plan and annual goals through an interface with Chief Medical Officers, Chief Nursing Officers and other members of the Clinical Quality Team • Chairs the Clinical Excellence Committee and Pre-Clinical Excellence Committee responsible for policy management and upkeep • Along with the Clinical Quality Team, is accountable for continuous performance improvement and achievements of goals on internal and external quality and patient safety measures. • Reviews events in the incident reporting system and participates in root cause analysis as needed, identifying and overseeing implementation of corrective actions. • Analyzes and acts on safety trends. • Oversees the supervision of the Vice President of Patient Safety and Risk Management and the Executive Director of Clinical Data • Co-Chairs the System Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee • Co-Chairs the System Antibiotic Stewardship Committee • Co-Chairs the System Pain Management Committee • Participates in monthly CMO and monthly CNO roundtable meetings • Monitors quality and safety, patient satisfaction, risk management, and utilization review, and works in collaboration with the System CMO to develop performance improvement plans • Works with clinical documentation specialists, coders, and medical staff to ensure complete and accurate documentation.
CORE VALUES Compassion Accountability Respect Excellence
Central Verification Office and Medical Staff Office:
• Supervises and meets regularly with the Director of the Credentialing Verification Office • Assists with our CVO expansion system-wide • Serves as a resource regarding credentialing or medical staff issues and ensures medical staff is fully credentialed. • Ensures Joint Commission and DNV readiness for medical staff issues, including focused and ongoing Professional Performance Evaluation compliance.
Care Coordination and Management:
• Actively participates in care management and our PULSE process to ensure appropriate length of stay, appropriate level of care, and minimize preventable readmissions. • Works along with Executive Director of Clinical Data to assess appropriateness of hospital based P4P quality, patient experience and throughput metrics • Identifies opportunities for improvement, assists in plan development and assures successful achievement of P4P quality, patient experience and throughput targets • Provides guidance in the implementation and function of the PULSE process
Budgeting and Financial Management:
• Participates in developing the budget for the System Clinical Quality Department • Contributes as needed to capital equipment allocation meetings
Clinical Research and Graduate Medical Education:
• Participates in the development of a System-wide clinical research program • Attends monthly research meetings and assures the clinical research program meets quality, compliance and FDA mandates • Works with DIOs and Residency leaders to assure compliance with ACGME program requirements
• Assists in the development/reorganization of specialty-specific Physician Advisory Panels to act as subject matter experts • Co-chairs quarterly or biannual Physician Advisory Panel meetings • Co-chairs the Supply Chain Physician Advisory Committees • Ensures ongoing development and deployment of Steward Medical Staff Bylaws
• Works with the chairs, chiefs, and executive leadership team to develop operational goals and facilitates implementation of business, operational, and clinical tactics necessary for growth, improvement, and attainment of clinical, financial, and operational goals. • Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment. • Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external) in accordance with the Steward mission and vision statements • Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed. • Serves as physician resource on as needed basis for nursing leadership, case management, and pharmacy. • Participates in the implementation, staff education, and ongoing evaluation of the electronic health record • Assumes responsibility for administrative and clinical issues when the System CMO is not available • Performs other duties as assigned