Behavioral Health Care Manager
Steward Health Care Network (SHCN) takes pride in its community-based care model, which drives value-added tools and services to our communities, patients, physicians, and hospitals across the continuum of care. In addition, Steward Health Care Network promotes care coordination and collaboration within the network in order to provide high-quality, efficient care to patients. With Steward in the community, all residents can be sure that there is a world-class doctor close to where they live.
The network is also responsible for the implementation and execution of our managed care contracts, medical management services, quality improvement programs, data analysis, and information services.
Position Purpose: The Behavioral Health Care Manager is a core member of Steward’s collaborative care team, providing care management and care coordination to manage members with severe mental illness and/or substance use who have high rates of behavioral health utilization and/or severe psychosocial vulnerability. The Behavioral Health Care Manager works closely with the patient’s primary care provider and psychiatric consultant to develop, implement and evaluate a plan of care tailored to the patient’s unique needs. The Behavioral Health Care Manager provides support and/or intervention and assists members in understanding the implications and complexities of their current situation and/or overall personal care. The care provided by the BHCM may be delivered telephonically or within practices and/or hospitals.
- Provides care coordination and care management to patients with severe mental illness who have high rates of behavioral health utilization and/or severe psychosocial vulnerability.
- Conducts comprehensive assessments with patients and performs clinical intervention through the development of a care management treatment plan specific to each member with high level acuity needs
- Assesses, plans, implements, monitors and evaluates options and services to meet complex behavioral health and psychosocial health needs of patients
- Places referrals to external behavioral health and/or substance use community-based resources to assist patient in accessing quality and cost-effective care (i.e. - outpatient therapy, medication management, day treatment, partial hospitalization, MAT treatment, etc.)
- Reviews benefits options, researches community resources, trains/creates behavioral routines and enables patients to be active participants in their own healthcare
- Coordinates care with internal and external resources to meet identified needs of the patient's care plan and collaborates with providers
- Monitors and evaluates effectiveness of care plan and modifies plan as needed
- Ensures patients are engaging with their PCP to complete their care management treatment plan or preventive care services
- Acts as a liaison and advocate between the patient, family, physician and facilities/agencies
- Interacts continuously with members, family, physician(s), and other resources to determine appropriate behavioral action needed to address medical needs
- Provides clinical consultation to physicians, professional staff and other teams members/supervisors to provide optimal quality patient care and effective operations
- Addresses barriers to follow through on health care including, but not limited to: homelessness/housing instability, financial resources, transportation, child care, etc. and places referrals to community-based resources as necessary
- Provides concise and thorough documentation through psycho/social assessment and progress notes, including changes in medical psycho/social functioning, progression and attainment of goals, referrals to internal and external agencies, and contact/involvement with patient’s family
- Demonstrates cultural sensitivity and respect for the patient
Education / Experience / Other Requirements
- Master’s Degree in Social Work, Psychology, Counseling, Rehabilitation, or another related field, required.
- License preferred
- BLS Certified (CPR/First Aid)
Years of Experience:
- Required 2 years of experience in behavioral health management and/or acute behavioral health care setting focusing on outpatient/inpatient utilization, case management and discharge planning
- Experience working with the needs of vulnerable populations who have chronic or complex bio-psychosocial needs
- Experience working with disadvantaged populations, preferred
- Experience in a managed care environment and case management experience, preferred
- Must possess a strong belief in an organizational culture that encourages valuing and best service excellence practices demonstrated through personal behavior and work ethic
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of the impact of the community and culture on health, illness, health practices, health beliefs, access to care and participation in treatment and services
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Steward Health Care Network is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience:
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient and colleague safety.
You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.