Behavioral Health Care Manager
Position Purpose: The Behavioral Health Care Manager is a core member of Steward’s collaborative care team, providing care management and care coordination to manage members with severe mental illness who have high rates of behavioral health utilization and/or severe psychosocial vulnerability. The behavioral health care manager collaborates closely with the patient’s primary care provider and psychiatric consultant to develop, implement and evaluate a plan of care tailored to the patient’s unique needs. Provides support and/or intervention and assists members in understanding the implications and complexities of their current medical situation and/or overall personal care.
- Assesses, plans, implements, monitors and evaluates options and services to meet complex psychosocial health needs of outpatient members
- Conducts comprehensive member assessments and performs clinical intervention through the development of a care management treatment plan specific to each member with high level acuity needs.
- Provides care coordination and care management to members with severe mental illness who have high rates of behavioral health utilization and/or severe psychosocial vulnerability. Works towards achievement of optimal clinical and resource outcomes.
- Monitors and evaluates effectiveness of care plan and modifies plan as needed. Supports member access to appropriate quality and cost effective care. Coordinates with internal and external resources to meet identified needs of the member's care plan and collaborates with providers.
- Acts as a liaison and member advocate between the member/family, physician and facilities/agencies.
- Provides clinical consultation to physicians, professional staff and other teams members/supervisors to provide optimal quality patient care and effective operations.
- Interacts continuously with members, family, physician(s), and other resources to determine appropriate behavioral action needed to address medical needs. Reviews benefits options, researches community resources, trains/creates behavioral routines and enables members to be active participants in their own healthcare.
- Ensures members are engaging with their PCP to complete their care management treatment plan or preventive care services.
- Assists in obtaining benefits for members through community resources when benefits are exhausted or not available.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Interprets psychiatric treatment to patient’s family and helps to reduce fear and other attitudes obstructing acceptance of psychiatric care and continuation of treatment.
- Makes referrals to case managers, as appropriate, and/or refers patient’s family to community
Years of Experience:
Preferred Relevant Licensures: