Location: Morton Hospital
Posted Date: 7/27/2020
Provides assistance to pharmacists by preparing and delivering pharmaceuticals, and maintaining adequate inventory of
stock and supplies and to perform other pharmacy service duties as required. Must be proficient at accessing, viewing, and
handling medication requests related to the Meditech and Pharmacy Automated Systems. Must be proficient in answering
Automated Dispensing System related questions, loading, unloading, and refilling the devices, and
operating the Automated Dispensing System. Prepare some intravenous (IV) medications after successful completion of
written and hands on competency.
- Assists in medication preparation by selecting, counting, compounding, packaging and labeling per established departmental guidelines (not to include Chemotherapy or high risk medications).
- Prioritizes and manages telephone calls in the pharmacy. Assists customers at the pharmacy. Responds to Stat needs first.
- Delivers medications to nursing units based on a pre-determined schedule. All TPN’s, and IV admixtures are delivered in a timely manner.
- Processes patient charges and credits.
- Maintains appropriate levels of stock and supplies in dispensing area, and places them on order when they are below adequate stock levels to meet departmental needs. This includes prepackaging or assembly of all types of medications for future dispensing.
- Demonstrates proficiency at accessing and viewing pertinent screens in pharmacy electronic systems and pharmacy-automated systems.
- Performs intra- and inter-departmental unit inspections monthly (assigned areas) and removes all expired medications.
- Works in multiple areas of the pharmacy, as directed, to maintain competency and broaden skills for all areas of the job scope.
- Stocks emergency crash carts and emergency drug boxes and kits.
- Performs all operations of the pre-packaging machine which includes repackaging and labeling of medications and performing maintenance of packaging and dispensing equipment in the pharmacy.
- Refills ADM devices in all areas of the hospital. Prepackages and delivers controlled substances according to policy.
- Checks in the drug order from our suppliers and puts the order into pharmacy stock and delivers floor stock to patient care areas in the hospital.
- Performs other pharmacy- related duties as assigned.
- Possesses awareness of programs/services provided by the hospital and where they are located. Performs all the above jobs in accordance with Morton Hospital and Joint Commission guidelines.
- Fills orders with correct medication
- Prepares unit of use dosage when necessary
- Prioritized work to prepare stat, now and waiting, in order of importance.
- Returns medications to stock and rotates stock.
- Fills requisitions from nursing floors in a timely fashion.
- Can calculate appropriate medication does based on patient’s age: adult, pediatric, nenonate, geriatric, and adolescent.
- Maintains temperature log.
- Maintains batch logs for IV delivery of RTU products.
- Documents as required for all process. (Cart Fill, Narcotics, etc)
- Records medication for ordering when stock is low.
- Can safely use departmental equipment.
- Disposes of waste in the proper containers
- Able to locate MSDS Sheets and the Disaster Plan.
- Demonstrates fire procedure verbally.
- Follows safety standards. Notifies supervisor of any hazards immediately.
- Participates in safety/disaster drills and in-services. Has read departmental safety manual.
- Assists in training of new staff.
- Helps other areas when needed.
- Completes annual competencies.
- Complies with annual physical requirements.
- Participates in departmental, meetings and in-services.