1. Serves as an Expert Clinician throughout the medical center.
• Develops and assists in the implementation of patient care standards and protocols to meet the needs of our patient population.
• Assists and provides direction to nursing staff with clinical decision-making and priority setting.
• Models excellence in nursing practice through the utilization of advanced concepts in the areas of assessment, diagnosis, planning, implementation and evaluation of perceived, actual or potential problems that occur in a variety of patient populations.
• Functions as a facilitator and innovator for state-of-the-art nursing care with direct involvement in implementing and evaluating new techniques and equipment for safety, cost-effectiveness, and benefits related to nursing practice.
• Participates in nursing and interdisciplinary committees which impact care of patients.
2. Collaborates and participates in the development of Nursing Orientation, Education Programs (Inservice and Continuing Education), and American Heart Association Programs.
Responsibility: Educator Role (Orientation)
2.1 Nursing Orientation Programs to meet the needs of orientees, in familiarizing new employees with their role within the Medical Center. Standards:
• Participates in core and unit-based nursing orientation programs that are flexible, relevant, and competency based, as requested.
• Presents orientation classes in collaboration with other educators.
• Develops and implements flexible, relevant competency based orientation programs that focus on the individual learner.
• Mentors staff nurses, graduate students and others to acquire new knowledge and skills and develop their career.
• Evaluates effectiveness of didactic and clinical orientation and recommends improvements.
• Promotes effective communication between Education Dept and Patient Care Director re: orientee progress.
• Supports Preceptors in their role and in their ongoing development as preceptor.
• Assists preceptors and orientees in creating an individualized orientation plan.
• Facilitates the completion of orientation activities documentation as appropriate.
• Maintains orientation records for easy retrieval.
• Evaluates and revises the orientation program in response to feedback from orientees, preceptors, Directors, QI monitors and current literature/research.
2.2. Education Programs (Inservice and Continuing Education) that provide staff with opportunities to maintain and update their skills and knowledge.
• Continuously assesses the learning needs of staff using various methodologies.
• Plan education activities to address the identified learning needs.
• Collaborates with other nursing staff, education department members, clinical leadership, and unit teachers to develop and implement education programs.
• Utilizes adult learning principles in all phases of program development and implementation
• Participates in the development and implementation of annual education plans for each department.
• Prepares appropriate education program application, objectives and content to be consistent with ANCC criteria and application process and submitted to the Lead Nurse Planner for review.
• Participates in the establishment of processes for measuring the effectiveness of continuing education activities.
• Collaborates with other clinical departments in offering continuing education programs.
• Collects and analyzes program evaluation data and recommends changes as appropriate
• Maintains education program records for easy retrieval.
2.3. American Heart Association Programs that provide staff with opportunities to maintain and update their skills and knowledge.
• Participates in the development and implementation of American Heart Association Programs for the Medical Center.
• Participates as Training Center Faculty within the discipline taught (Basic Life Support, Advanced Cardiac Life Support and/or Pediatric Advanced Life Support.
• Ensures the most current edition of American Heart Association course materials including course textbook and learning algorithms are utilized and available for student .
• Ensures required equipment is clean, in proper working order and good repair; and present for each course offered.
• Completes course records including course rosters and summary of course evaluations.
• Maintains education program records for easy retrieval.
Responsibility: Expert Clinical Resource and Consultant Role
3. Serves as a Clinical Resource and Consultant to clinical leadership and nursing staff and interdisciplinary colleagues to optimize clinical outcomes
3.1 Clinical Resource
• Serves as a resource to nurses and other members of the health care team in identifying problems, utilize available resources and selecting best practice for optimal outcomes.
• Leads and participates in patient, unit, department and system quality improvement initiatives.
• Collaborates with nursing staff and other members of the health care team to problem solve complex clinical situations for needs of patients.
• Collaborates with nursing staff and other members of the health care team to problem solve complex clinical situations for system initiatives.
• Acts as formal and informal consultant to staff nurses, medical staff and interdisciplinary colleagues..
• Initiates consultation to obtain resources as necessary to facilitate progress toward achieving identified outcomes.
• Communicates consultation findings to appropriate parties consistent with professional and institutional standards.
Responsibility: Researcher Role
4. Integrates relevant research, literature and outcomes into nursing professional development and clinical practice through effective learning activities.
• Analyzes research findings and other evidence for their potential application to clinical practice.
• Utilizes evidence-based research to guide policy and practice development.
• Expands the scientific base of nursing practice by conducting and facilitating nursing research.
• Evaluates the need for improvement or redesign of care delivery processes to improve safety, efficiency, reliability and quality.
• Fosters the use of systematic evaluative research.
• Disseminates research findings through presentations and integration into patient care standards.
Responsibility: Leadership and Human Resource Management
5. Collaborates with Patient Care Directors in providing timely and reliable feedback to staff on performance
• Contributes to and/or performs performance evaluations or remedial education related to nursing practice concerns in collaboration with Patient Care Director.
• Designs programs to improve clinical and system level processes and outcomes.
• Manages special projects across the institution in response to initiatives.
• Facilitates the adaptation of practice change.
• Fosters professional accountability in others.
Responsibility: Professional Growth and Development
6. Accepts responsibility for own continuing professional growth and development
• Maintains involvement in professional associations, specialty organizations, and community.
• Contributes to the advancement of the profession as a whole by disseminating outcomes of Clinical Nurse Specialist practice through presentation and publications.
• Maintains own educational or clinical competencies.
• Acts as role model for professional practice.
• Keeps advised of national, regional health care trends.
• Completes all mandatory educational programs annually.
7. Works to achieve overall mission and goals of Good Samaritan Medical Center
• Collaborates with all members of the education department in an ongoing manner regarding department mission, project planning, educational offerings and activities.
• Accepts responsibility for establishing and maintaining a healthy interpersonal relationship with every member of the organization.
• Accepts responsibility for establishing and maintaining a healthy interpersonal relationship with every member of the education department.
• Consistently demonstrates the core values of the medical center.
• Participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of the goals and standards for nursing department and hospital wide initiatives
• Promotes a good image of the Nursing Education and Research Department and the GSMC through creating a friendly, caring environment for patients, families, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
• Be sensitive; make every effort to show that all customers are welcome, indicate by your actions, that they are important to you.
• Achieve and maintain departmental competencies in order to do the best job possible the first time.
• Take time to communicate clearly. Reassure patients and families and keep them updated, if there are delays.
• Understand and respect you co-workers.
• Be aware of your physical appearance and dress, and follow the hospital dress code.
• Be a team player.
• Take pride in your contributions to the team to insure that the department actively contributes to excellent patient satisfaction.
• Encourage fellow workers to have the same goals by setting a good example. Recognize one another for a job well done.
Responsibility: Hospital Wide Responsibilities
8. Employee is available and prepared to work during scheduled hours to facilitate the smooth and efficient operation of the department and to meet approved staffing levels.
• Consistently maintains work schedule and attendance requirements as stated in the Medical Center's policies.
• Communicates time off to other team members.
• Plans cross coverage of activities, programs with other team members.
Responsibility: Standards of Behavior
9. Works to achieve overall standards of behavior established at Good Samaritan Medical Center
• Does what is right every time all the time, even when no one else will know
• Seeks to offer assistance to those we meet and escort people where they need to go, or find someone who can
• Treats each individual with dignity, respecting their privacy and confidentiality
• Values our diversity and that of those we serve
• Acknowledges each other pleasantly, introduces self, explains what they are doing and how long it will take; and thanks others for their time
• Provides understandable and timely information, and appropriate educational materials
• Listens to others, takes action to provide comfort and support, and promptly responds to all requests and concerns
• Takes the opportunity to present one another in a positive light, recognizing the value and strength of each individual
• Commitment to those we serve and to one another
• Participates in, accepts and carries out team decisions, honoring our commitments to each other and to those we serve
• Communicates constructively with others and welcome feedback to build relationships
• Believes every job is of equal importance and never says “That’s not my job.”
• Voices concerns and questions in the face of doubt or uncertainty
• Promotes a caring, friendly and safe environment for all
• Takes pride in our work and organization knowing we each make a difference
• Continually works to increase knowledge, improve our skills and strive for excellence in everything we do