Cook, REQ 23333, 40 hrs. Varied Schedule
This position is covered by the SEIU Collective Bargaining Agreement
Qualifications: Ability to read and write in English. Works cooperatively and collaboratively building a positive team spirit. Fosters interdisciplinary, collaborative relationships within the department and the organization. Makes timely and appropriate decisions in the face of conflicting demands and interests. Readily adapts to change and welcomes new approaches when circumstances demand it. Willingness to provide exceptional patient care.
- Reviews menus, work orders, and/or tally sheets to determine type and quantities of meats, vegetables, soups, and/or food related items and to be prepared in accordance with daily forecast and before starting. Initiates quantity or menu changes and communicates effectively to appropriate staff as warranted and/or to utilize leftovers with positive results.
- Reviews communication log in production area before starting work and adheres to revisions or instruction as indicated on a daily basis.
- Plans cooking schedules and/or procedures following manual instructions and to ensure all food is produced in a timely and efficient manner and of optimum quality according to department standards.
- Utilizes appropriate tally sheets provided and accurately follows and produces quantity specified before and during production and precisely follows instructions upon completion according to daily census and on a daily basis.
- Prepares hot and/or cold foods following standardized recipes and procedures provided in manuals and in accordance with job flow posted and meeting department standards at the appropriate time of service for the patient line, cafeteria and/or functions.
- Habitually practices safe-handling and storage of all food items at time of production, service, and throughout the day, following department policy and standards in manuals and education provided.
- Habitually practices safe-handling of food service equipment used and in compliance with department standards, cleans and sanitizes said equipment before, during, and after use and on a daily basis. Recognizes hazardous conditions and reacts accordingly in a quick and decisive manner.
- Consistently practices "clean as you go" policy and follows organizational chart posted, completing cleaning and sanitation assignments for areas of responsibility in accordance with department standards on a daily basis. Uses initiative and performs extra cleaning tasks when time permits and on an ongoing basis.
- Accurately sets up patient line in a timely and efficient manner, for meal being served, serves meal with appealing presentation and following guidelines posted for portion control, breaks down line upon completion, and follows instructions for left over food according to department policy and procedure. Conducts training effectively with new personnel or as warranted to ensure controls are in place in accordance with department policy.