Director, Health Information Services
The Health Information Management Director will retain responsibilities at the local level. This position will be responsible for assessing the Health Information Management functions and developing process improvement initiatives and assisting with implementation of initiatives in order to achieve best practice. Directs and supervises all medical record department's functions, including record completion, transmission, indexing, abstracting, coding, research, filing, storage, retrieval and maintenance.
• The Director of Health Information Management is responsible for managerial direction and support to the Medical Records and Department. The incumbent also serves supports hospital's Privacy Officer for matters related to the HIPAA Privacy Rule.
• Works as a line manager who directs, plans, organizes and implements the daily activities of the Medical Records functions across the hospital.
• Integrates health information management with other administrative and clinical functions in a manner consistent with the hospital's Mission Statement and Strategic Plan.
• Develops and deploys health information management systems as part of the hospital's overall patient information system.
• Monitors health information management systems and sets the hospital's standards for data quality and ethical practice.
• Participates in the development and enforcement of health information management and registration policies and procedures on information collection, verification, communication, confidentiality, security, storage, retrieval and retention.
• Provides training and education to the hospital's employees in areas relevant to health information management and registration policies and procedures.
• Supports and facilitates clinical, administrative, and external data use functions.
• Monitors local, regional, and national trends in health information management and registration.
• Monitors changes in licensing and accreditation that impact health information management and registration.
• Serves as an internal consultant on matters relating to health information management issues including information collection, verification, communication, confidentiality, security, storage, retrieval and retention, as well as authentication of health record documentation, standardization of medical abbreviations and forms, medical coding, and other functions.
• Compiles and reports on the status of record completion compliance and quality improvement activities related to health information management..
• Forecasts the hospital's future technical and information needs. Develops and adheres to annual operating and capital budgets.
• Develops the goals and objectives of the department with a focus on controlling and/or reducing costs while maintaining and/or increasing productivity and quality of medical records services.
• Attends meetings as required and participates on committees as requested. Coordinates the activities of the Medical Records Committee.
• Directly supervises the Managers and/or Supervisors within the Medical Records.
• Serves a leadership role by providing developmental guidance and assists in the identification, implementation, and maintenance of the hospital's protected health information privacy policies and procedures in coordination with the organization's management, administration, and legal counsel.
• Performs initial and periodic protected health information compliance monitoring activities in conjunction with the hospital's other compliance assessment functions. Provides periodic reports to the Compliance Officer.
• Provides initial orientation and privacy training to all employees.
• Participates with management and administration in the initial identification of Business Associates. Ensures that a signed Business Associate Agreement is on file for all qualifying business associates.
• Oversees the process by which patients exercise their right to inspect, amend, and restrict access to protected health information when appropriate.
• Establishes and administers a process for receiving, documenting, tracking, investigating, mitigating and taking action on all complaints concerning the hospital's privacy policies and procedures in coordination with Human Resources, Information Systems, the Security Officer, administration, and legal counsel as applicable.
• Serves as a member of the hospital's Corporate Compliance Committee.
• Coordinates and Monitors quality and timeliness of outsourced functions such as transcription services/Release of Information, Coding Services
• Develops and maintains an on-going program of quality assurance activities within the department
• Represents Holy Family Hospital in court and depositions when subpoenas require attendance.
• Minimum Education: Bachelor's degree in Health Information Management (RHIA) or equivalent progressive and extensive Health Information management experience with RHIT credential.
• Three to five years of supervisory experience in HIM required.
• Knowledge of patient registration and HIPAA Privacy Rule is preferred.
• Certification / Licensure: Credentialed / registered Health Information Administration (RHIT / RHIA)
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 1791