Director, Surgical Services
Responsible for management functions of planning, organizing, staffing, budgeting, and directing surgical services in order to ensure that quality patient care is provided in accordance with the hospital’s mission and objectives.
1. Current licensure as a Registered Nurse in the State of Massachusetts.
2. Baccalaureate degree in nursing required. Masters prepared preferred.
3. A minimum of five years knowledge and experience in perioperative nursing and two years of management experience.
4. Evidence of continuing education in OR nursing, management skills, and presence of mandatory education programs.
5. Experience should demonstrate a high level of written and oral communication skills; ability to conceptualize, develop and effect quality clinical surgical services, effective leadership/management skills and commitment to continuous quality improvement
1. TEAM WORK
A. Involves other departments in project planning and implementation.
B. Is supportive of others and provides help and assistance when possible.
C. Regularly attends and participates in team and/or department meetings and work activities.
D. Keeps others informed.
E. Regularly offers and requests constructive feedback and coaching.
F. Establishes and maintains effective working relations.
2. SERVICE EXCELLENCE (both internal and external)
A. Welcomes patients and customers in a warm, friendly manner.
B. Actively listens and constructively responds to questions and concerns in a timely manner
C. Ensures the dignity of patient/customer is maintained at all times.
D. Abides by and upholds the Hospital Service Excellence Standards.
E. Respects the diversity of the patient/customer population (i.e. ages and culture).
Quality of Care:
1. Maintains a high level of clinical competency.
2. Assumes responsibility and accountability for patient care management specific to assessment, planning, implementation, and documentation.
3. Evaluates the care provided to patients to achieve optimal patient outcomes.
4. Identifies areas of clinical growth for staff and initiates and coordinates strategies for improvement.
5. Participates in development, maintenance and implementation of unit standards of care.
6. Maintains open communication with staff on all shifts, remaining alert and sensitive to the working environment.
7. Problem solves with staff and keeps Vice President, Patient Care Services aware of current issues and concerns.
8. Maintains a high level of nursing care and a safe environment for all patients cared for within surgical services.
1. Serves as a role model to staff by continuously demonstrating values and principles, creating and maintaining effective, positive customer service relationships.
2. Sets standards for patient care with the Assistant Nurse Manager and the Resource Leaders.
3. Develops the goals and objectives for the department on an annual basis and reviews them with staff, surgeons, administration and support services.
4. Develop and implement of the strategic plan for Surgical Services.
5. Develop and maintains effective relationships with all hospital departments. Monitors service provided and collaborates in developing methods to improve utilization and efficiency.
6. Responsible for the development and implementation of policies and procedures.
7. Responsible for the development and performance improvement program in the operating room.
8. Maintains visibility in all areas of Surgical Services.
9. Meets with Assistant Nurse Managers and Resource Leaders on a regular basis to review basic operations and goal/objectives attainment.
10. Develops and maintains accountability for personnel, operating and capital budgets for Surgical Services cost centers.
11. Controls quantity and quality of nursing care by establishing performance standards, analyzing needs and recommending and implementing changes.
12. Maintains compliance with regulatory agency requirements, professional qualifications and safety standards.
13. Participates in promotional marketing of Norwood Hospital Surgical Services.
1. Demonstrates effective use of verbal, non-verbal, and written communication skills.
2. Fosters teamwork and demonstrates the ability to involve others in the decision making and problem solving process.
3. Conducts monthly staff meetings.
4. Keeps the Vice President of Patient Care Services informed of surgical services activities, issues, and changes.
5. Communicates all planning and development for the department to the Vice President of Patient Care Services.
Management of Personnel:
1. Orchestrates the professional development of the personnel within the Department and personally mentors those directly reporting to her.
2. Develops and maintains accountability for the personnel, operating and the capital budgets.
3. Interviews, hires, schedules, directs, develops, counsels and evaluates staff. Makes authoritative recommendation on the discipline and/or discharge of staff.
1. Assumes responsibility for own professional development and practice.
2. Develops and implements annual plan to extend clinical and managerial expertise.
3. Demonstrates a professional commitment to patients and the health care team by participating in activities that contribute to the development of self, the organization, and the profession.
4. Fosters the mission statement and values of the institution.