Endoscopy Technician - NWH Gastroenterology- Per Diem
The Endoscopy Technician is an integral member of the Endoscopy team. This role supports the Registered Nurse as an extender by providing technical support to the physician during an endoscopic procedure. The position requires excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to anticipate the needs of the physician and patients undergoing endoscopic procedures.
The Endoscopy Technician is directly accountable to the Registered Nurse with whom he/she is working and the Nurse Manager/designee of the Endoscopy Suite.
- 18 years of age.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Fluency in the English language, including the ability to read and write English.
- C.P.R. Certification
- Successful completion of the Endoscopy Technician Competency Based Orientation.
- TEAM WORK
- Involves other departments in project planning and implementation.
- Is supportive of others and provides help and assistance when possible.
- Regularly attends and participates in team and/or department meetings and work activities.
- Keeps others informed.
- Regularly offers and requests constructive feedback and coaching.
- Establishes and maintains effective relations.
- SERVICE EXCELLENCE (both internal and external)
- Welcomes patients and customers in a warm, friendly manner.
- Actively listens and constructively responds to questions and concerns in a timely manner.
- Ensures the dignity of patient/customer is maintained at all times.
- Abides by and upholds the Hospital Service Excellence Standards.
- Respects the diversity of the patient/customer population (i.e. ages and culture)
- Clinical Knowledge and Technical Skills
- Demonstrates specific use of scopes, accessories and supportive equipment.
- Demonstrates awareness of the equipment value and responsibility for assuring proper handling.
- Possesses manual dexterity and ability to troubleshoot malfunctioning equipment.
- Prepares and sets up appropriate equipment daily for procedures.
- Cleans and maintains equipment according to procedures.
- Returns equipment and instruments to designated storage areas.
- Participates in stocking daily inventory of supplies and equipment to ensure efficient procedure preparation.
- Checks scopes prior to each procedure to ensure proper functioning of scope, light source and printer.
- Assists with positioning of patient for specific procedures.
- Provides a primary assistant to physicians during procedures.
- Assists nursing personnel by preparing patient and equipment for procedure.
- Adheres to infection control policy and procedure.
- Ensures patient safety through positioning and handling of equipment.
- Prepares and processes tissue biopsy, slides, and specimen samples according to procedure.
- Provides for the proper set up and safety precautions when using electrical equipment.
- Complies with established standards of endoscopy practice, policies and procedures.
- Responds effectively and efficiently in emergency situations.
- Informs the Registered Nurse of changes in patient’s condition and patient’s response to interventions.
- Keeps Charge Nurse informed of patient care problems.
- Uses proper body mechanics during patient care, transport and cleaning activities.
- WORK BEHAVIORS
- Demonstrates flexibility in patient assignment and work schedule.
- Reports to and begins work promptly.
- Gives adequate notice of absenteeism or tardiness.
- Asks appropriate questions if an unfamiliar circumstance arises.
- Appearance is professional in accordance with dress code.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Able to organize and prioritize work efficiently.
- Demonstrates the ability and motivation to work with an R.N. as a partner.
- INTERPERSONAL RELATIONSHIPS
- Relates to all patients in the same manner. i.e., does not discriminate on the basis of medical diagnosis, sex, age, race, ethnic, religious, or educational background, or economic status.
- Demonstrates awareness of patient’s rights.
- Respects the patient’s privacy and confidentiality.
- Communicates appropriate information in a clear, concise manner by reporting objectively to covering R.N., Charge Nurse or Nurse Manager.
- Communicates in a supportive and effective manner with staff, patients and families.
- Maintains effective interpersonal relationships.
- Demonstrates cooperation by offering assistance to others.
- Utilizes appropriate channels or communication within the health care system.
Job Reference #: 8328