Under the direction of the manager of interpreter services, the incumbent serves as a medical interpreter for patients and staff members and supports the operations of the department in the consecutive, simultaneous or sight translation mode for all patients and family members who are LEP, Deaf and hard of hearing. Relays medical information between speakers of two different languages in compliance with all office and hospital policies and procedures, particularly relating to patient confidentiality and informed consent, passing performance of competencies listed in the IMIA Standards of Practice, and the Code of Ethics. Understands and abides by all published Standards of Practice and Codes of Ethics for Medical Interpreters. Supports all campuses and Steward off-sites when required to do so.
Key Responsibilities: s.
- Relays medical information between speakers of two different languages in 3 different modalities: face to face; telephonic and/or video interpreting.
- Reduces linguistic barriers for patients and family members who are LEP, deaf or hard of hearing seeking care at Steward Health Care.
- Helps facilitate successful delivery of services to linguistically diverse consumers. Explain hospital resources, office protocols, and limitations to clinicians and patients; make appropriate referrals; serve as a cultural and linguistic resource to both patients and providers to contribute to successful outcomes.
- Performs duties in a spirit of teamwork and cooperation. Adheres to hospital policies on customer relations and hospitality. Understands the hospital's system of service delivery.
- Supports the office operations by answering the phone, taking requests, calling patients to confirm appointments, document encounters on the interpreter tracking system and EMR performs data entry, verify and schedule future appointments when necessary, do iPad/IPOP troubleshooting, filing and photocopying.
- Utilizes on-line computer systems such as Outlook, and other hospital software. Work with special projects as assigned.
- Supports financial counseling process, community outreach events as needed and when requested to do so by Interpreter Manager.
- Supports review of short translations as directed by manager
- Supports maintenance and monitoring of Interpreter and Disability Equipment
- Serves as a resource to staff for patients with disabilities.
- Supports all campuses and Steward off-sites when required to do so.
- Other duties as assigned.
Must be able to interpret in Spanish. Preferably bicultural Spanish as well. High school diploma or equivalent is required – undergraduate degree preferred. National Certification preferred. Must demonstrate satisfactory fluency in English and target language(s) at a level that ensures accurate and understandable interpretation. Formal medical interpreting training and satisfactory knowledge of medical terminology is required. One (1) year of work experience as a medical interpreter in a health care setting is strongly preferred. Excellent organizational skills, the ability to set priorities, and problem solving skills are a must. Basic computer skills required.
Job Status: Part Time
Job Reference #: 3072