1. Patient Care:
- Completes admission assessment and periodic reassessments according to patient’s progress and/or unit protocols and age-specific parameters.
- Documents findings and communicates all pertinent information to interdisciplinary team members as appropriate.
- Collaborates with interdisciplinary team members in the development, evaluation, and revision of the plan of care as appropriate to meet the patient’s needs and goals.
- Provides competent direct care and ensures the provision of a safe and comforting environment resulting in a high level of patient satisfaction.
- Assists healthcare team members in the understanding of hospital policies and procedures.
- Provides education to patients/families/significant others, incorporating age-specific criteria and assessment of readiness to learn.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Maintains standard precautions.
- Administers medications and completes treatments according to hospital policy and within age-specific parameters.
- Maintains all necessary documentation.
- Facilitates discharge plan in collaboration with interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrates knowledge and ability to use necessary patient care equipment.
- Coordinates response of the interdisciplinary team to emergency situations.
- Performs Point of Care procedures in a timely manner according to established policy and procedure. Documents required information and complies with all Point of Care quality control standards.
2. Staff/Unit Responsibilities:
- Delegates appropriately to non-licensed staff in accordance with job descriptions, license requirements, and standards of practice.
- Utilizes resources in an efficient and cost effective manner.
- Participates in developing other staff and affiliating students.
- Maintains and develops own professional competencies.
- Maintains unit-based competencies.
- Maintains and promotes a team spirit through active cooperation and collaboration.
- Assists in interdepartmental service coordination.
- Actively participates in the Performance Improvement and Utilization Review program.
- Assumes a leadership role in the maintenance of the patient-focused care delivery system.
- Assists in directing and guiding staff in the coordination of unit operations.
- Supports the multi-skilled worker environment (i.e., cross training).
- Demonstrates willingness to assist other areas of the hospital as needed.
- Cross-trains and willingly works in other areas of the hospital accepting assignments within competency level.
- Effectively applies prioritization and time management to patient’s care.
- Assists in all aspects of care in the environment.
- Adheres to all policy and procedures.
- Ensures that a patient has a signed consent present in the chart prior to procedure.
3. Preceptor Responsibilities
- Assists with recruiting and interviewing of competent staff.
- Assists staff in problem solving work issues and in adapting to the patient-focused care environment.
- Trains staff on hospital computer system.
- Assists with orientation, evaluation, and retention of clinical staff.
Must have a license to practice professional nursing by the Texas Board of Nursing or licensure from a state within the Nursing Compact. Successful completion of AHA approved course in BLS upon hire. ACLS and PALS within 3 months of hire. CCRN and/or PCCN preferred.
Essential Technical/Motor Skills:
Ability to manipulate various types of electronic and clinical equipment, adjust and troubleshoot monitoring equipment, IV infusions, and computer equipment. Ability to operate specialty equipment related to area of expertise and to perform computer tasks at a ""user’s"" level.
Must possess the ability to interact and communicate in English, both orally and written, with all levels of staff, physicians, patients, and families in an effective manner, exhibiting tact, enthusiasm, and patience. Must be sensitive to cultural and bilingual issues.
Essential Cognitive Abilities:
Possesses the ability to comprehend and interpret complex clinical subject matter related to the specialty and calculate in apothecary and metric systems for drug administration. Must possess the ability to document appropriate clinical information. Has the ability to interpret rules/regulations/accrediting and licensing standards sufficiently for implementation. Maintains concentration and organization while dealing with multiple issues. Possesses the ability to analyze data and formulate an appropriate plan of action.
Essential Sensory Requirements:
Possesses the ability to respond to patient/family needs by interpreting verbal and non-verbal expressions.
Exposure to Hazards:
Requires exposure to communicable diseases and potentially contaminated body fluids and bio-hazardous materials. OSHA Risk Factor: Category 1. Potential risk of physical injury due to moving machinery and supplies.
Possesses the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to any age-related needs of the patients served on his or her assigned unit. Possesses knowledge of growth and development appropriate to the patient population served. Possesses the skills/knowledge to perform treatments and interpret data, including age-related care needed by the patient group.
Knowledgeable of the mission, vision, and values of the hospital. Operates within the concept of patient-focused care. Evolves into an effective team member. Must adhere to dress code, good grooming and personal hygiene habits. Cognizant of and conforms to all hospital policies and procedures.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 4845