Manager, H.I.M. - Full Time, Days
Provides leadership and management skills to effectively supervise personnel and achieve established department objectives in accordance with the hospital’s mission and goals. Manages the daily operations of all EHR applications and the deficiency management and tracking system. Responsible for the integrity of the document management in the EHR. Provides technical analysis and assistance as appropriate. Prepares reports to ensure compliance with hospital policy and JC standards. . Provides ongoing education and training to HIM staff and clinicians as appropriate.
• Responsible for supervision, leadership, and day-to-day operations of the EHR and deficiency management and tracking systems. Will oversee operations to ensure integrity of documents in the electronic medical record including the timeliness of record completion. Responsible for hiring, evaluation, scheduling, training and coaching staff.
• Direct efforts toward quality documentation, including providing procedures, training, and resources for team members.
• Ensures records are assembled and analyzed in accordance with timeliness standards.
• Monitors and reports statistics for delinquent medical records including electronic signatures.
• Manages the provider suspension process in accordance with medical staff rules, regulations and policies.
• Ensures quality and turn around time of transcription.
• Manages and troubleshoots interface/technical issues both internal and with external providers/vendors.
• Develop standards for employee performance monitoring.
• Establish criteria for quality review.
• Establish policies and procedures that contribute to the efficiency of operations.
• Manages the performance of contracted transcription service to ensure quality and timely turn around time.
• Collaborate with IT to troubleshoot interface/technical issues that impede optimal HIM operations.
• Prepares work schedules, establishes priorities and oversees productivity to ensure optimal coverage.
• Consults and when necessary, empowered to make departmental decisions in the absence of the Director of Health Information Management
• Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
• Previous management experience required.
• Strong working knowledge of HIM operations, workflow and electronic health records.
• Detail oriented with excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
• An ability manage workload, establish priorities and meet deadlines.
• Excellent written and verbal communication.
• Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, clinical medicine and various medical specialties preferred.
• Ability to read and interpret clinical information and resolve issues with providers.
• Demonstrates an understanding of the medico-legal implications and risk management responsibilities of the healthcare record, ensuring compliance with local, state, and federal rules and regulations.
• Ability to multi-task with multiple priorities and time frames.
• Ability to operate multiple software applications and implement workflow changes in response to system upgrades and transition to the latest technologies.
• Must have excellent organizational skills.
• Proficient with all Microsoft applications.
• Is a self-starter and has the ability to work in a fast paced, deadline oriented, environment.
• Associate Degree in Health Information Technology preferred or equivalent experience.
• 1-3 years managerial experience in an HIM Department preferred, in addition to 7-10 years overall acute care HIM experience required.
• This position requires the ability to blend management responsibilities with technical operations and creative problem solving skills.
• Proficiency in motivating others towards effective, integrated work performance.
• Thorough knowledge of medical records systems, Joint Commission and State and Federal regulation knowledge is required.
• Must be a self-starter and have ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline oriented environment.
• Certification and Licenses Required:
• RHIT/RHIA preferred.