Location: Morton Hospital
Posted Date: 2/3/2020
Manages the Nursing Staff Development Department, by providing direct supervision for the Staff Developers, Unit Educators, and Administrative Assistant for Professional Development and Nursing Support Services. Coordinates with the Vice President of Patient Care Services to develop educational goals and plans for the organization
- Management and oversight of professional development department.
- Manage the department budget.
- Schedule in-services for staff that address the current educational needs of the nursing staff.
- Annually update and revise the nursing orientation to include current needs or the nursing department.
- Annually update mandatory competency day to include current educational needs of the department.
- Develop and revise monthly education calendar.
- Oversee compliance with unit based competencies.
- Assess and update unit based competencies.
- Attend Unit based practice council meetings.
- Develop and revise weekly education plans for staff developers and unit based developers
- Schedule regular meeting with Staff Developers and Unit Based Educators to evaluate educational goals and progress toward goal attainment.
- Retain updated educational Plans, Outlines, Attendance Records, and Sign-in sheets from all In-services, Conferences, Competencies, and orientations.
- Performs departmental evaluations for job performance and provides feedback to unit managers regarding the performance of Unit Educators.
Management of Time and Resources:
- Completes work assignments within an acceptable time frame.
- Uses time and resources to the best possible advantage for successful completion of job responsibilities.
- Assists Educators, Staff Developers, Volunteers, and Administrative Assistant to organize their work load and establish appropriate delegation practices to optimize time and realize departmental and organizational timeline and goals.
- Develops and maintains efficient working relationships.
- Is reliable in respect to attendance.
- Is reliable in respect to punctuality.
- Recognizes the importance of team efforts and partners with others to achieve positive outcomes.
- Organizes and participates in regional Staff Development Conferences and meetings to obtain ideas and share creative solutions to the department and organization.
- Is flexible in work schedule to oversee goals of a 24-hour Staff Development Department.
- Is part of a team effort to insure quality services.
- Offers creative solutions or alternatives to issues or concerns.
- Produces quality results.
- Continually strives to improve the quality of work.
- Accepts responsibility for all work performed and takes appropriate corrective action as needed.
CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS:
- Is cooperative in interactions, treating customers with courtesy, respect and compassion.
- Is patient when responding to questions and answers questions appropriately.
- Responds to requests in a timely manner.
- Handles interruptions in a skillful way.
- Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Strives to prevent/resolve customer concerns to the customer’s satisfaction.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Is responsible for ongoing development of his/her work skills through the use of available resources (i.e.: inservices, formal educational programs, other work groups and on-the-job training).
- Is responsible to develop staff educators and unit based educators to meet the needs of the organization.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and inservices and/or reviews documentation as required.
- Assists in the orientation of others and actively participates in mentoring.
- Performs analytical and decision making functions with minimal supervision.
- Recognizes and seeks assistance/consultation when appropriate.
- Demonstrates an understanding of relative Hospital and all-departmental policies and procedures including safety issues.
- Possesses awareness of programs/services provided by Hospital and where they are located.
- Previous experience coordinating and managing a professional development department in a hospital setting.
- Bachelors Degree in Nursing
- BLS Certification/Instructor Certification
- ACLS certification/ Instructor Certification
- PAL's Certification
- AANC Certification in Medical/Surgical nursing
- Registered Nurse -Massachusetts License
- Previous Nursing Education Experience in Community College or University Setting