Medical Assistant - 40 hours - Family Medicine
Location: Carney Hospital
Posted Date: 11/27/2019
internal posting 11.27-12.4'
An allied health professional that supports the work of physicians and other health professionals in the clinic setting.
- Actively participate in clinic patient flow, informs physicians of patients’ arrival and room assignment.
- Accompanies and/or assists patients to the exam room in a professional manner; setting up the exam room and preparing the patient.
- Obtains patient vital signs, to include height, weight, blood pressure, temperature, pulse and respiration. Pulse-oximetry if needed.
- Enter triage and other data into electronic health record in use.
- Assist physicians during examinations and procedures
- Performs EKGs, Labs including UA, urine pregnancy, quick strep testing, stool testing, finger sticks for blood sugars.
- Perform or assist in the following procedures: vision and ear lavage, simple dressing changes, peak flows, nebulizer treatments, fleets enema administration.
- Explains test procedures to patients
- May assist with other support activities, to include packaging and sterilizing equipment and supplies
- Maintain patient areas clean and safe
- Maintain and improve knowledge and expertise through continuous training
- Take inventory of supplies, equipment and medication
- Ensure clinical areas are well stocked.
- Ensure expiration dates have not lapsed.
- Communicate problems and concerns to supervisors
- Actively participate in team huddles and staff meetings
- Copying/faxing medical records and related documents
- Provide excellent customer service by demonstrating positive behaviors towards patients, families/visitors, providers, other department staff, and co-workers.
- Perform quality assurance activities
- Initiate, process and follow up on referrals/authorizations.
- Properly import vital signs into the electronic medical record.
- Locate and follow computerized orders.
- Document care and services into the electronic medical record.
- Ability to read, write, speak and comprehend the English language.
- Computer skills required
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills required; good team member.
- Understands basic medical terminology
- Proficiency in hospital and physician practice computer systems such as Meditech, Athena and other comparable systems.
- Phlebotomy skills for basic venipuncture.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
- Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
- Understands routine lab and imaging studies including specimen processing, lab requisition, and sorting results.
- Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Education: High school diploma; graduate from a medical assistant school required.
- Experience (Type & Length): One to three years of experience of general patient care (i.e. hospital, physician’s office or ambulatory care setting) preferred.
- Certification/Licensure: Certification or eligible for certification as a Medical Assistant required.
- Software/Hardware: Proficiency with electronic health record systems (e.g. eCW, Athena, MediTech) preferred