Medical Assistant, Part-Time, Days
The medical assistant position serves to coordinate the daily health care delivery system in the medical office. The position covers a wide range of responsibilities that entail a combination of providing direct care and technical and administrative assistance to patients, physicians and other staff in office. On a daily basis, the incumbent will perform a wide variety of computer, billing, referral, clerical, scheduling, and supply functions necessary for the operation of the medical practice with minimal supervision
Reports to the Nurse Manager of the Pain Management Center.
Minimum Education Requirements: Training and certification in medical assistant curriculum or equivalent. High School Diploma required
Minimum Work Experience: Minimum of one year working in medical practice or equivalent experience preferred; and/or graduate of a certified Medical Assistant training program. Previous medical assistant experience and knowledge of medical practice operations preferred
Other skills and abilities: Knowledge of medical terminology, interpreting physician orders, executing medical referrals, medical billing concepts and direct medical assisting. Bilingual highly desired
Equipment/Software/Certification: Previous experience with hospital and medical practice billing/scheduling/information systems preferred. Basic computer literacy required.
1. TEAM WORK
A. Involves other departments in project planning and implementation.
B. Is supportive of others and provides help and assistance when possible.
C. Regularly attends and participates in team and/or department meetings and work activities.
D. Keep others informed.
E. Regularly offers and requests constructive feedback and coaching.
F. Establishes and maintains effective working relations.
2. SERVICE EXCELLENCE (both internal and external)
A. Welcomes patients and customers in a warm, friendly manner.
B. Actively listens and constructively responds to questions and concerns in a timely manner. Ensures the dignity of patient/customer is maintained at all times.
C. Abides by and upholds the Hospital Service Excellence Standards.
D. Respects the diversity of the patient/customer population (i.e. ages and culture).
1. Greets patients and offers assistance within scope of responsibility
2. Answers the telephone in a prompt and courteous manner
3. Responds to patient and staff questions in an appropriate manner
4. Triages phone calls for appropriate administrative and/or clinical response
5. Notifies physician and/or other clinical staff of emergent problems and tracks the same to conclusion
6. Verifies patient insurance information at the time of visits
7. Collects patient insurance co-pays at the time of registration
1. Proficient in the use of the practice scheduling system, inclusive of knowing different types of appointments and their respective priority and time requirements
2. Assures that patient understands time and date of their next appointment along with preparations relevant to the same
3. Assists with reminding patients in advance of their next appointments
4. Uses FAX machine to send and receive data from other areas
5. Records scheduled procedures
6. Daily chart audit for compliance
Patient Related Clerical Duties
1. Assembles and labels charts for incoming patients
2. Notifies physician and other practice staff of any missing information related to patient encounters/visits
3. Accurately enters all orders from Lab, X-Ray, etc. into patient medical record
4. Secures discharge record and/or test/procedure results from source where service was scheduled
5. Prepares patient record for office visit and assures that record is complete
6. Lists all new patient complaints/problems under chief complaints in patient record for quick viewing by physician or other staff
7. Updates patient medication information
8. Notifies physician of any consultations, discharges, transfers or expirations
9. Uses fax machine to send and receive information from other practices and/or organizations
10. Prepares letters for physician signature
11. Performs patient referrals and ensures that complete patient and billing information is provided for insurance pre-authorizations
Patient Related Clinical Duties
1. Obtains patient vital signs and records the same in patient chart
2. Assist MD with electronic prescription preparation
3. Obtains and processes patient lab work in a timely manner (blood, urine Specimens, etc.) with appropriate training