Job Posting Header – M.A./Secretary
Are you looking for an exciting, professional career with a company that treats each individual with dignity and respect? We take pride in our work and organization knowing that we each make a difference in the lives of our patients every day!
Steward Medical Group at Hawthorn Medical Associates is looking for an enthusiastic, dedicated Medical Assistant/ Medical Secretary to assist our providers in the treatment of patients. The successful candidate will:
- Demonstrate courteous, professional, and cooperative behavior towards patients, visitors, coworkers, and providers.
- Perform duties as a team member, integrating activities with fellow employees and providers.
- Courteously answer the phone, screen and triage calls appropriately. Receive messages, prescription refill requests and performs other telephone duties as required.
- Assist with patient care. In doing so, ensure the patient is properly prepared, verifies relevant information with patient and assures proper positioning. Assist the provider during any in-office procedures. Utilize aseptic techniques as necessary.
- Be knowledgeable regarding systems necessary to check patient reports/appointments and schedule appointments accurately and efficiently within established scheduling protocols. Effectively troubleshoot minor problems. Notify appropriate personnel of equipment malfunctions and repairs as needed.
- Perform injections as certified and permissible by law and in accordance with established protocols and procedures.
- Responsible for cleaning exam room(s) and maintaining equipment between patients and at the end of the day in accordance with established protocol; documents accordingly. Maintains a clean work area, prepares the equipment, patient room(s), and stock supplies.
- In a timely fashion, informs appropriate personnel when orders need to be placed.
- Execute paperwork as necessary for each patient including patient charts, and follow-up phone calls.
- Manage physician schedules by following up on patient no-shows, sending out reminder cards, and/ or providing telephone reminders for office visit in accordance with established protocol.
- Maintain effective working relations and communication with departmental and other Hawthorn Medical personnel as well as various community interactions as appropriate to the position.
- Remain flexible in all shift coverage and overtime situations as they become necessary.
- Successful completion of a degree or certificate program in Medical Assisting. High School diploma or equivalent. At least 2 years of relevant professional experience preferred as both Medical Assistant and Medical Secrtary.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Must be flexible, customer/patient focused, possess a positive attitude, have interpersonal skills sufficient to interact effectively with patients who may be under physical and/or emotional stress; bi-lingual communication skills helpful.
- Must possess strong learning aptitude and analytical abilities necessary to acquire and effectively utilize knowledge of basic medical processes, techniques, and procedures.
- Possess an ability to work well both independently and on a team in a fast paced environment.
- Maintain CPR certification and is capable of initiating emergency life support actions as necessary. Knows the location of all emergency drugs and supplies. Participates in the monitoring of emergency supplies including expiration dates.
- Ability to take vital signs accurately.
- Knowledge of phone systems, computer systems and ability to type. Understanding of medical terminology, understanding of different insurance plans and referral procedures preferred.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 7542