Medical Director - SHCN
Steward Health Choice is dedicated to improving the health and well-being of the people and communities we serve.
Steward Health Choice believes in a personal approach to health care right in your community. We built our health care plan around you. Our goal is to give you quality health care, programs, and services to support you on your path to wellness.
Steward Health Choice provides exceptional customer service and culturally competent care through:
- Compassionate and responsive member services team
- Collaboration with community physicians to help members get the health care they need.
- Providing culturally competent health care, including extensive translation and interpretation services
- Health programs to help members and their families stay healthy
Position Purpose: This position has overall accountability and oversight of all Steward Health Choice Utah (SHCU) Health Plan clinical functions and medical cost trends consistent with the vision and strategy set forth by the senior executive leadership team. Actively involved in the shift towards a value-based, integrated delivery system in collaboration with strategic partners to ensure the delivery of the highest value healthcare services.
Establishes credibility and rapport to collaborate with a broad set of senior executives, clinicians, local government leaders, and community representatives. Participates and supports the communication, education, and maintenance of partnerships with contracted providers, provider physician groups, and may serve as the interface between the Health Plan and providers, regulators, etc.
Mentors a high performing clinical team that focuses on clinical quality, service excellence, and business literacy. Rallies support for the overall corporate vision and provides competitive clinical strategies and initiatives to ensure delivery of the highest value clinical and service outcomes of all communities to which the position is assigned. Responsible for the financial health of the Plan related to medical cost trends.
Collaborates with clinical leadership and key stakeholders to oversee the development and implementation of an effective care management infrastructure. Actively supports Quality and Compliance to ensure the Health Plan meets and exceeds medical management, quality, accreditation, regulatory, and agency standards. Accountable for ongoing monitoring, measurement, and communication of medical management programs and processes (e.g. utilization management, care management, etc.); overseeing analysis of overall medical expense and performance data. Facilitates timely and specific clinical behavior modification that is both clinically sound and cost effective.
Use population health and value-based care management in developing and evaluating systems that fully integrate care and reimbursement across the continuum of health care delivery. Accountable for adoption of evidence based medical guidelines and protocols with proper stewardship of resources; analyzing members and population data to guide program direction. Participates in the medical management programs to assure that network providers deliver and members receive appropriate, high quality, and cost effective care through case reviews of prior authorizations, concurrent utilization review, appeals, disputes, state fair hearings, credentialing, etc. Responsible for recommending changes and enhancements after investigation of cases deviating from evidence-based and/or accepted practice standards and takes appropriate actions.
Leads the charge in focus and implementation of the organization's culture and strategic plan in a way that aligns to the mission, vision and values of the organization. Performs other position appropriate duties as required in a competent, professional, and courteous manner.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- MD or DO with an active unrestricted Utah state medical license required
- Board certified in their medical specialty required
- MBA or MPH strongly preferred
Work Related Experience:
- Minimum five (5) years of clinical practice experience required
- Minimum two (2) years of managed care experience strongly preferred
- Proficiency with managed care environment with a philosophy of collaboration and team work
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to build consensus
- Ability to process map and manage large projects to successful completion
- Strong analytic skills with the ability to draw conclusions and translate complicated data into useable information that can be clearly communicated.
- High tolerance for complex, ambiguous, and shifting environments, including a matrix management structure.
- Demonstrated organizational and project management skills to manage complex projects through effective planning, tracking, and resource allocation to meet business objectives and timelines.
- Strong leadership and management skills. Knowledge of methods used for improving employee performance/motivation.
- Ability to generate creative solutions, identify the best course of action and rapidly resolve complex issues/problems
- Skill in resolving employee/customer conflicts and complaints in a mutually satisfactory way
- Ability to communicate clearly with employees at all organizational levels, and across differing cultural backgrounds
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 1805479