Medical Technologist (Thurs-Sat- 2100-0730); Lab Clinical
JOB SUMMARY: Under the general supervision of the Laboratory Operations Manager and according to established policies and procedures, performs various Clinical Laboratory tests in one or more sections of the Laboratory. Analyzes and interprets test results and ensures accuracy of same. Uses technical competencies and judgment to respond and handle situations as they arise. Assists with the Laboratory PI program, ordering of supplies, developing procedures and other areas as needed. Senior technologists assume responsibility for charge duties when the Lab Operations Manager is not on-site.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Consistently supports the hospital’s Spirit of Serving Standards, in line with the Mission, Vision and values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
4. Monitors, operates, troubleshoots, and performs quality control, calibration, and maintenance on instrumentation in assigned area. Identifies, documents, and takes corrective actions whenever test systems are outside designated parameters.
5. Assesses, processes, and analyzes specimens and reports results according to established policies and
procedures. Maintains records of quality control and patient test results.
6. Performs and documents proficiency testing in the same manner as patient samples.
7. Ensures adequate supplies, reagents and materials by inventorying supplies, ordering and/or re- stocking supplies.
8. Applies knowledge of clinical significance of test results and communicates accurately and in a timely manner to the appropriate medical personnel.
9. Communicates liaisons, instructs, and dialogs appropriately with health care providers, patients, and vendors on issues such as test interpretation, recommendations for alternate testing, instrumentation and problems with specimens/methodology.
10. Participates in Performance Improvement activities such as chairing/participating in PI teams, giving input to resolve/improve issues.
11. Assists in procedure development, scheduling and other areas as needed.
12. Maintains knowledge of current trends and developments in the field.
13. Volunteers to fill shift vacancies and accommodates schedule to meet department needs.
14. Pursues solutions to technical or personnel problems and communicates to appropriate person.
15. Works cooperatively with others.
16. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by IASIS Healthcare and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
- Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Regional Compliance & Safety Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
17. Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.
In addition to the previously listed duties, senior technologists are responsible for the following:
1. Serves on laboratory committees and assists with special projects as needed.
- Monitors and orders supplies through the materials management system.
- Maintains and monitors comprehensive quality control, quality assurance and proficiency testing programs.
- Provides clinical orientation and supervision of students and new employees.
- Assists the section supervisor or Lab Manager with special projects as needed.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Medical Technologist - None
- Senior Medical Technologist – 3 years of experience as a Medical Technologist preferred
- Certification as a Medical Technologist, CLS (NCA), MT (ASCP), or MT (AMT) or at a minimum an earned associate degree in a Laboratory science or Medical Laboratory Technology from an accredited institution, or equivalent Laboratory training.
- Recent graduates from approved program within the last 6 months must be certified within 6 months after employment
- If certified after 2004 must maintain active credential status to maintain employment.
Education & Training:
- Completion of a Bachelors Degree in Medical Technology or closely related science and successful completion of a CAHEA approved program in Medical Technology OR
- For personnel performing high complexity testing must have at a minimum an earned associate degree in a Laboratory science or Medical Laboratory Technology from an accredited institution, or equivalent Laboratory training.
- Technical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills relevant to area in order to effectively communicate with physicians, health team members, and patients and their families.
- Ability to prioritize work with minimal supervision in order to independently carry out the duties of the position.
- Able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Additional languages preferred.
- Basic computer knowledge; LIS and HIS
- Ability to perform routine and specialized laboratory procedures.
- Ability to work under stress in order to perform effectively in the position.
- Demonstrates flexibility and initiative in workflow management.