Mental Health Counselor I, REQ# 13224, PD, Nights
Mental Health Counselor in the Emergency Services Department
• Respects each patient as an individual; provides care that fosters the patient's sense of dignity and positive self-regard and uses the least restrictive approach to behavioral management.
• Assists with admission and discharge of patients with the supervision of the RN
• Appropriately prioritizes patient care assignment (e.g., recognizes and responds appropriately to a crisis situation and demonstrates understanding of a psychiatric emergency and is able to maintain patient and unit safety).
• Provides thorough, timely, and accurate documentation of all pertinent data, according to established standards (e.g., "Problem-Intervention-Plan" format for progress notes and accuracy in vital sign documentation).
• Provides timely and thorough report on assigned patients to other health care team members to ensure integration of services, continuity of patient care and focus on treatment plan goals.
• Promotes learning for colleagues and self (e.g. assists in orientation of new staff).
• Proactively identifies risk to patient safety and identifies opportunities to reduce medical/health care errors
• Identifies ethical issues in care and reports them to the RN and demonstrates ability to report suspected patient abuse/neglect according to hospital policy
• Performs clinical tasks of EKG, vital signs, finger stick glucose testing, and patient activities of daily living.
• Assist providers with diagnostic procedures and exams (i.e. pelvic examination, lumbar puncture, suturing, etc.).
• Completes daily department stocking and checklists as assigned by the Lead ED Technician or Charge Nurse.
• Cleans exam rooms upon patient discharge or directs housekeeping to do so for rooms requiring terminal cleaning
• Responds quickly and courteously to call lights and patient and family requests.
• Obtains and documents vital signs on all patients before they are triaged, unless immediate treatment in the clinical area is required
• Provides comfort measures for patients in the waiting area (i.e. blankets, ice, etc.)
• Acts as a liaison between the patients and families, triage nurse, clinical staff working inside and security.
• Other duties as assigned.
High school graduate or GED required. Experience or training in the mental health field preferred. BCLS certification required. Fosters interdisciplinary, collaborative relationships within the department and the organization. Works cooperatively and collaboratively building a positive team spirit. Makes timely and appropriate decisions in the face of conflicting demands and interests. Readily adapts to change and welcomes new approaches when circumstances demand it. Willingness to provide exceptional patient care.
Job Status: On Call
Job Reference #: 13224