Nurse Educator - NWH Gastroenterology; 24 hrs/wk - M,W,F 7-3:30 - flexibility required
Within the framework of the philosophy and objectives of the Staff Development Division, the educator plans, organizes, implements and evaluates programs of education for nursing and members of the community. The educator provides support/assistance to the Nursing Department in the development of systems for the delivery of nursing care and in the implementation of its goals and objectives.
Accountable to Director of Surgical Services or Nurse Manager for Endoscopy.
- Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing.
- Current licensure in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as a Registered Nurse.
- BSN required, Masters preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years medical/surgical experience (or maternity if specialty educator).
- Current certification as CPR Instructor required (preferred for maternity educator).
- Current certification in ACLS preferred.
- Involves other departments in planning and implementation.
- Is supportive of others and provides help and assistance when possible.
- Regularly attends and participates in team and/or department meetings and work activities.
- Keeps others informed.
- Regularly offers and requests constructive feedback and coaching.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relations.
- Welcomes patients and customers in a warm, friendly manner.
- Actively listens and constructively responds to questions and concerns in a timely manner.
- Ensures the dignity of patient/customer is maintained at all times.
- Abides by and upholds the Hospital Service Excellence Standards.
- Respects the diversity of the patient/customer population (i.e. ages and culture).
- Nursing Process
- Analyzes information from various resources from within and outside the institution for the purpose of determining appropriate educational programs.
- Collaborates with and assesses on a continuum the orientation and ongoing educational needs of the preceptors and Clinical Leader educational roles.
- Assesses, on a continuum, the orientation needs of newly employed nursing personnel to maintain a comprehensive orientation program.
- Develops long and short term goals on assessed needs of nursing personnel.
- Researches the applicable regulations and laws that have implications for education (e.g. J.C.A.H.O./State Regulations).
- Utilizes data from a variety of sources when planning to meet the assessed needs of nursing personnel.
- Participates in Nursing and Multidisciplinary Committees as appropriate.
- Interprets the objectives and goals of the Staff Development Department to nursing personnel.
- Integrates existing standards of nursing practice in educational offerings.
- Provides appropriate orientation programs for newly employed nursing personnel.
- Implements formal and informal educational programs based on data received from nursing research and expressed or observed needs.
- Provides and/or directs continuing educational programs for nursing personnel in response to ongoing and changing developments.
- Participates in the development, supervision and evaluation of learning of nursing personnel when appropriate.
- Incorporates into practice, current, creative methods of instruction based on adult learning theories.
- Is able to identify and utilize the facilities and teaching resources available within Norwood Hospital.
- Transmits specific information concerning needs to appropriate administrative personnel in order to provide appropriate direction and/or services for needed follow-up action.
- Functions as a consultant and liaison person within the organizational structure of the institution and in the community.
- Facilitates inter/intra-departmental communications through formal and informal channels.
- Identifies potential crisis situations and takes appropriate action for resolution of problems.
- Demonstrates problem solving abilities.
- Assists in the development of polices, standards and procedures that facilitate nursing personnel to fulfill their professional functions.
- Participates in implementing current practice standards based on nursing research for the purpose of improving the quality of patient care, as appropriate.
- Performs other activities/duties as assigned.
- Demonstrates schedule and role flexibility to suit the changing needs of the Staff/Educational activities.
- Designs and implements formal and informal programs related to safe and effective use of equipment.
- Evaluates educational programs and revises them to reflect current needs.
- Integrates information received from various sources to determine need for change.
- Participates in Quality Assurance/CQI activities, as appropriate.
- Submits periodic reports on goal achievement (e.g. annual report) as requested.
- Participates in activities that promotes own professional growth and development.
- Attends 80% of the scheduled Staff Development Division meetings and shares information with colleagues as appropriate.
- Maintains current certifications in BLS/CPR Instructorship, and specialty certifications (as applicable to role).
Job Status: Part Time
Job Reference #: 9485