Nursing Assistant-Pulmonary-40 Hrs/Week-Night Shift-Every Other Weekend
- Position Function:
The Nursing Assistant performs basic patient care activities as delegated by the registered Nurse, which assist the nursing staff in providing for quality patient care.
- Job Relationships:
Supervised and/or reportable to the following, by job category:
- Patient Care Director or designee
- Registered Nurse
Must be able to collaborate and effectively communicate with Registered Nurses and other health care professionals.
To give basic patient care as delegated by the Registered Nurse, as well as other assigned tasks.
- A. Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
1.) "Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers,
and patients as referenced in the Service Excellence Standards."
Performs all patient care activities under the direction of a Registered Nurse.
Functions in the role of assistant to the nursing staff or to the Registered Nurse.
Performs non-nursing functions which impact and contribute to the quality of patient care as directed by the Registered Nurse.
Provides and maintains a safe and comfortable environment for the patient:
- Assists patients getting in and out of bed.
- Orients patient to call l light and side rails, maintains accessibility and answers call light in a
- Stays with restless patients.
- Makes and instructs in the use of cough pillows.
- Assists in the collection of medical data, vital signs.
Assists the Registered Nurse with specific components of admission, transfer, and discharge of patients:
- Preparation of the unit.
- Transferring patient to bed.
- Assembling patients' belongings.
- Accompanying patients as directed.
Assists the Registered Nurse with ADLs:
- Partial bed baths, assistance with shower and sit baths, as appropriate for patient.
- Fills water pitchers serves nourishments.
- Records intake and output.
Assists with collection of specimens.
Documents vital signs, I&O on appropriate forms.
Disposes of trash and linen on an ongoing basis.
May be required to float, within comptencies, to other units, as needed.
Knowledgeable and compliant with infectious diseases policy and procedures:
- Appropriately cares for patients on precautions.
- Uses protective measures as deemed appropriate.
- Separates infectious materials and disposes of them appropriately.
Complies with Patient Safety goals as set forth by the medical center.
B. Responsibilities/Non-Essential Functions:
Performs related duties as required.
- Reporting Requirements:
Reports immediately to Patient Care Director or delegate any deviation of normal operations.
Reports immediately to supervisor of an unusual occurrence related to patients, other staff and self.
Reports immediately to the Registered Nurse or delegate of any change in the patients conditions.
Reports to the Patient Care Director, situations that require attention.
Reports all incidents and breaches in quality care to the Patient Care Director and delegate.
Shall be accountable for patient care delivered.
Shall be accountable for maintaining the confidentiality and security of all hospital-related, medical staff-related and patient-related data and information.
Shall be accountable for abiding by all relevant Medical Center Policies and Procedures.
Shall be accountable for observing all policies and procedures of the unit, including Infection Control Policy and Procedures.
High School diploma or equivalency.
Requires previous Nursing Assistant experience or for nursing students, one clinical rotation completed.
Able to communicate verbally and in writing in the English language.
Able to complete mathematical computations required to perform treatment protocols.
Able to lift, transfer and move patients.
Nursing Assistant Certification preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled