Occupational Therapist, Psych Services, Per Diem
The Occupational Therapist is responsible for providing high quality patient care, displaying good skills in occupational therapy assessment, treatment planning, group treatment, and individual treatment. Additionally, s/he is responsible to function well as a member of the interdisciplinary team and participate in the Behavioral Health Services community relations program.
Accountable to the Director of Nursing, Behavioral Health Services
- Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited Occupational Therapy Program. Must be licensed by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts within one year of employment and must be registered with the American Occupational Therapy Certification Board, Inc.
- Ability to interact effectively with co-workers and maintain a pleasant and courteous manner.
- Willingness to accept responsibility as delegated.
- Ability to work independently with minimal or no supervision.
- Ability to direct others in performance of their duties within the therapeutic program milieu.
- Ability to be flexible in work habits.
- Possess good verbal and written skills.
- Ability to make decisions within the confines of the position.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding any and all patients and/or information that are communicated within the Psychiatric Units.
- TEAM WORK
- Involves other departments in project planning and implementation.
- Supports others in the department and provides help and assistance when possible.
- Regularly attends and participates in team and/or departmental meetings and activities.
- Keeps others in the department informed of relevant information.
- Regularly offers and requests constructive feedback and coaching.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relations.
- SERVICE EXCELLENCE (both internal and external)
- Welcomes patients/customers/employees in a warm, friendly manner.
- Actively listens and constructively responds to questions and concerns in a timely manner.
- Ensures that the dignity of the patient/customer/employee is maintained at all times.
- Abides by and upholds the hospital’s service excellence standards.
- Respects the diversity of the patient/customer/employee population.
- Demonstrates safe and effective use of equipment.
- Patient Care Responsibilities
- Plans and implements the occupational therapy program for the unit.
- Conducts occupational therapy group sessions, displaying advanced knowledge of group principles and group techniques for this population.
- Conducts individual occupational therapy sessions as assigned, displaying up-to-date theoretical knowledge and treatment techniques based on philosophy of acute care setting.
- Completes occupational therapy evaluations in prescribed time frame, with appropriate focus on fur issues.
- Participates in the disciplinary treatment planning.
- Displays good report writing skills.
- Completes progress notes in a timely and high quality fashion.
- Supervises OT/COTA/RT students, coordinates student supervision in collaboration with OT Supervisor.
- Plans and directs groups in the patient milieu as appropriate, using flexible scheduling, if necessary.
- Attends, plans, and provides departmental, hospital, or community in-service education.
- Expand qualifications by participating in advancement through own professional development through professional organization, educational opportunities offered by the hospital, or instruction for other education programs.
- Other Responsibilities
- Functions as a team member with the consideration of other treatment team members.
- Communicates effectively with families and agencies, conveying a positive professional image.
- Brings to the attention of the OT Supervisor and/or Director of Nursing significant issues related to program functioning.
- Works hours sufficient to ensure effective performance.
- Utilizes feedback regarding performance and uses supervision to improve performance.
Job Status: On Call
Job Reference #: 2015