Ostomy/Wound Care Nurse-Nursing Admin-Per Diem-Varied Shifts-Weekends As Needed
Location: St. Elizabeth's Medical Center
Posted Date: 5/12/2020
Ostomy/Wound Care Nurse, Per Diem, Varied Shifts, Weekends and Holidays As Needed
The Ostomy/Wound Care Nurse functions as clinical resource and consultant in the management of ostomies, complex wounds, fistulae, pressure, vascular and diabetic ulcers, and skin care problems.
-The Ostomy/Wound Care Nurse is an RN who has graduated from a WOCN accredited prgram
-Registered Nurse in the State of MA
-Bachelors Degree Required
Responsibilities/Standards of Performance:
1. Provides pre-operative counseling, education and stoma site marking for patients undergoing ostomy surgery
2. Collaborates with Nursing staff and other members of healthcare team to:
a. devise a plan of care that promotes the ostomy patients physical,
psychological and social adaption
b. Provide education and counseling for post-operative ostomy patients, family, significant other.
3. Assesses the Ostomy patient returning to the hospital in regards to:
a. At home management of ostomy
b. Knowledge level re:ostomy care
c. Problems with psychological adaptation
4. Provides follow-up to ostomy patients after discharge as indicated.
5. Serves as a consultant in the management of complex wounds and fistulae
6. Provides consultation and direct assistance to nursing staff in the management of patients with altered skin integrity (pressure, vascular and diabetic ulcers, incontinence related).
7.Evaluates patient response to treatment plan and initiates alternative plans as indicated.
8. Collaborates with SEMC Home Care to facilitate smooth patient transition from acute care to home.
9. Provides follow-up consultation to patients discharged to SEMC transitional care unit.
10. Assists staff in maintaining current knowledge and competence in the areas of stoma care, wound and skin integrity management via 1:1 instruction, inservices and CEU offerings.
11. Collaborates with Purchasing Department to evaluate and/or purchase contemporary ostomy/wound care products in a cost-effective manner.
12. Precept WOCN Students
13. Participate in the orientation of new staff/specialty programs (PCA)
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled