Pathology Assistant-Lab Pathology Department-Per Diem-All Shifts Available
Provide a variety of functions for the Pathology Department within the Surgical Cutting Room and Frozen Section Room. In addition, perform other duties as required. Reports to Pathologists and Lab Administrative Director. Daily work overseen by Pathologists. Must be able to collaborate and effectively communicate with Pathologists and technical staff in Cytology, Histology and other laboratory departments. Must interact with couriers, medical staff and, at times, funeral home personnel.
- Assist in the preparation and performance of surgical specimen examinations
- Picking up specimens from the Frozen Section Room and Labor and Delivery and delivering them to the Surgical Cutting Room when necessary.
- Registering patient demographic information into the computer.
- Accessioning specimens into Meditech and CoPath computer system
- Assuring appropriate specimen accessioning and numbering of all surgical specimens.
- Obtaining clinical history including scans, X-rays, etc. when indicated.
- Printing cassettes with two identifiers as needed.
- Describing gross anatomic features, dissecting surgical specimens and preparing tissue for microscopic examination under direct/indirect supervision of a pathologist.
- Obtaining biological specimens for analysis and performing special techniques as directed by the pathologist.
- Photographing all pertinent specimens.
- Preparing frozen section slides for the pathologist.
- Assuring proper maintenance of equipment, adequacy of supply inventory and cleanliness of the Surgical Cutting Room and Frozen Section Room.
- Assist, initiate, institute and/or accomplish certain specialized procedures or duties as designated by the pathologists.
- Keep current on new technologies, procedures and methodologies that may enhance patient care and/or increase efficiency in the laboratory.
- Follow all organizational, departmental, section and hospital policies, i.e. Fire, Safety, Hazardous Waste, HIPPA regulations, etc.
- Meet departmental time frame of inspection readiness at all times. Ensure ongoing compliance with all applicable regulatory agencies including, but not limited to JCAHO, CAP, OSHA, DPH, HCFA, NCCLA, CLIA and HIPPA.
- Develop and perform QA monitors to assure continued safe practices and superior patient care.
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all time, (apparel, telephone etiquette, staff/peer interactions, etc.).
- Maintain a clutter-free work environment by working neatly, efficiently and cleaning the work area as needed.
- Strive for continuous improvements in service and quality.
- Report immediately to Lab Administrative director any deviation of normal operation or unusual occurrences related to the laboratory. Report to Pathologists any suspicious results uncovered during dissection of surgical specimens.
- Must abide by all relevant hospital procedures including infection control policies and procedures.
* - P.A., Masters, ASCP or equivalent
Job Status: On Call
Job Reference #: I53010