Pathology Assistant-Lab Pathology-Per Diem-Varied Shifts-Weekends As Needed
The Department of Pathology is seeking a well-trained and highly motivated Pathologists’ Assistant, to join an established hospital practice. We process approximately 10 000 cases per year, across a broad spectrum of specimen types. Under the general direction of the Medical Director and Pathology Supervisor, the successful candidate will work with another Pathologists’ Assistant, a Pathology Technologist and three Pathologists, in a modern, well-equipped, efficient and attractive laboratory.
The Pathologists’ Assistant oversees and performs the evaluation, examination, description, dissection, and sectioning of all tissue in surgical pathology submitted for microscopic evaluation and review by the pathologists, performs various auxiliary functions such as specimen photography and radiology if required, and also performs various training and administrative functions. The Pathologists’ Assistant is encouraged to keep abreast of new developments in the field, and to participate in Continuing Medical Education, for which time is allocated.
- Macroscopic examination and preparation of biopsies, routine surgical cases and complex multi-organ cases for microscopic evaluation, by providing detailed and accurate gross description, dissection, and appropriate selection and record of sections for accurate diagnosis
- Provision of independent technical leadership, as well as consultation and maintenance of an open channel of communication with the pathologist on unusual and complex cases
- Participation in performing frozen sections, intraoperative consultations, and cytology rapid reads
- Obtaining pertinent clinical information and studies
- Troubleshooting issues involving specimen handling
- Assuring correct accessioning and numbering of all surgical specimens and cassettes
- Assisting with accessioning, registration and collection of surgical specimens when necessary
- Ensuring that tests are prepared properly at all stages, from specimen collection through result reporting
- Additional special handling of the specimen if necessary or requested (e.g. flow cytometry, cytogenetics, photography, radiology, immunofluorescence, and culture)
- Overseeing the proper handling, storage, and disposition of all surgical tissue while adhering to the regulatory and compliance standards regarding biohazard and safety
- Organizing and ensuring an efficient daily workflow
- Overseeing proper operation, troubleshooting, and maintenance of equipment, and maintaining appropriate record logs
- Maintenance of a safe, clean and clutter-free work environment and grossing station
- Serving as a liaison between the laboratory and medical staff, hospital personnel and outside vendors
- Communicating and conducting oneself in a highly professional manner
- Performing duties according to the policies and procedures of the Pathology Department, Hospital and all applicable regulatory agencies including but not limited to JCAHO, CAP, OSHA, DPH, HCFA, NCCLA, CLIA AND HIPPA; remaining abreast of policies, regulations, guidelines, techniques, procedures and methodologies in anatomic pathology; following all departmental, hospital and organizational policies.
- Assisting the supervisor and medical director with administrative functions as they relate to the Pathologist Assistant-related portion of the department, including assisting with development of quality assurance monitors, quality control monitors, data gathering and preparation of QA reports
- Performing other related duties as assigned or required
- Graduate of a NAACLS accredited, Master’s degree Pathologists’ Assistant training program, or Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences or related field