Pathology Assistant - Per Diem - 9:00am-5:30pm
Under the technical supervision of the Chair of Pathology and the Administrative Director of Laboratory Services, responsibilities encompass assisting the Pathologists in the grossing of human surgical specimens. The Pathology Assist (PA) may prepare materials for use at oncology conferences upon request and maintain records of tissue and other QA/QC parameters.
1. Assure appropriate specimen accessioning and numbering of all surgical specimens.
2. Obtain clinical history including scans, x-rays.... when indicated
3. Assist the pathologist to describe gross anatomic features, dissect surgical specimens, prepare tissue for microscopic examination to include the preparation for light, electron and immunoflourescent microscopy and Frozen Section diagnosis.
4. Obtain biological specimens for analysis and perform special techniques as directed by the pathologist.
5. Assure correct coding and filing of surgical protocols and reports.
6. Assure proper maintenance of equipment, adequate supply inventory and cleanliness of the surgical pathology suite.
7. Obtain proper duly signed and dated "Disposition of Fetal Remains" forms with all products of conception, fetal tissue and fetal specimens.
8. Ensures compliance of all federal, state, local and other regulatory agencies.
Required Knowledge & Skills:
1. Must poses the manual skills to gross all pathology specimens.
2. Must have the ability to clearly dictate the gross specimen description.
3. Must work with the Pathologist to obtain accurate diagnosis in a timely manner.
4. Must be motivated and work well with others
Degree from a masters level accredited PA program preferred
3 years PA experience preferred