Pathology Grossing Position
Copath Experience Preferred
Previous Grossing Experience Required
Grossing of most Pathology cases, including gross descriptions, accessioning, and other registration/clinical info input.
Processing, setup, and distribution of all pathology work across Steward Pathology labs.
Autopsy not performed.
We are looking to add a Per Diem Pathology Assistant to join our fast-paced Laboratory within Morton Hospital located in the heart of Taunton, MA. We are a community health hospital who pride ourselves in providing exceptional care to meet our community’s needs. We proudly wear our “Morton Blues” and are the “hub” of healthcare for our region. We service not just our immediate Taunton residents’ needs but also surrounding towns treating all like family. That is what we strive for here at Morton – “Our Family, Caring for Yours”. This is not just our motto but our promise. So if you are looking to make a difference in the care you provide and to care for your patients as you would your own family member, apply today to this exciting opportunity.
Under the technical supervision of a Pathologist and Administrative supervisor of the Laboratory Manager, responsibilities encompass assisting the Pathologists in the grossing of human surgical specimens. The PA will prepare materials for use at pathology conferences upon request and maintain records of tissue and other QA/QC parameters.
Assist in the preparation and performance of surgical specimen examinations which include:
- Assure appropriate patient identification, specimen accessioning, numbering, packaging, shipping, sorting, and disposal of all surgical specimens, grossing products, cassettes, slides, and any other product of pathology processing
- Prepare all necessary documentation for Pathologist review of each case including clinical history including scans, X-rays, etc. when indicated.
- Dissect and gross all specimens and prepare tissue for microscopic examination under the supervision of a Pathologist
- In collaboration with the pathologist, select and prepare tissue sections for microscopic examination to include the preparation of frozen and permanent sections for light, electron, and immunofluorescent microscopy.
- Document all activities accurately and completely in the Pathology computer information system
- Obtain biological specimens for analysis and perform special techniques as directed by the pathologist.
- Photograph all pertinent specimens and microscopic slides.
- Assure correct coding and filing of surgical protocols and reports, filing photographic and microscopic slides and maintenance of other anatomical reports and data.
- Assure proper maintenance of equipment, adequate supply inventory, and cleanliness of the surgical pathology suite.
- Assist in the organization and coordination of anatomic pathology conferences.
- Assist in the entire reporting process for all Pathology specimens, including all functions of the Pathology Computer Information System and Hospital information system.
- Ensures compliance of all federal, state and local regulations and other regulatory agencies (CAP, JCAHO, FDA, etc.) policies. Complete all necessary processes to successfully comply with all regulations from these agencies.
- Maintains procedure manuals.
- Develops and performs QA monitors to assure continued safe practices
- Involves other departments in project planning and implementation
- Supports others in the department and provides help and assistance when possible
- Regularly attends and participates in team and or departmental meetings and activities.
- Keeps others in the department informed of relevant information.
- Regularly offers and requests constructive feedback and coaching.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relations.
- Welcomes patients/customers/employees in a warm, friendly manner.
- Actively listens and constructively responds to questions and concerns in a timely manner.
- Ensures that the dignity of the patient/customer/employee is maintained at all times
- Abides by and upholds the hospital’s service excellence standards.
- Respects the diversity of the patient/customer/employee population.
- Demonstrates safe and effective use of equipment.
- Assist, initiate, institute, and/or accomplish certain specialized procedures or duties as designated by the Chief of Pathology and Laboratory Director
- Including but not limited to:
- Continuing education lectures, teaching/training responsibilities
- Any other additional Responsibilities or Tasks assigned by the laboratory administration team.
Management of Time and Resources:
- Completes work assignments within an acceptable time frame.
- Uses time and resources to the best possible advantage for successful completion of job responsibilities.
- Develops and maintains efficient working relationships.
- Is reliable in respect to attendance.
- Is Reliable in respect to punctuality.
- Recognizes the importance of team efforts and partners with others to achieve positive outcomes.
- Is part of a team effort to insure quality services.
- Offers creative solutions or alternatives to issues or concerns.
- Produces quality results.
- Continually strives to improve the quality of work.
Accepts responsibility for all work performed and takes appropriate corrective action as needed.
CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS:
- Is cooperative in interactions, treating customers with courtesy, respect and compassion.
- Is patient when responding to questions and answers questions appropriately.
- Responds to requests in a timely manner.
- Handles interruptions in a skillful way.
- Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Strives to prevent/resolve customer concerns to the customer’s satisfaction.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Is responsible for ongoing development of his/her work skills through the use of available resources (i.e.: in-services, formal educational programs, other work groups and on-the-job training).
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and in-services and/or reviews documentation as required.
- Assists in the orientation of others and actively participates in mentoring.
- Performs analytical and decision making functions with minimal supervision.
- Recognizes and seeks assistance/consultation when appropriate.
- Demonstrates an understanding of relative Hospital and all-departmental policies and procedures including safety issues.
- Possesses awareness of programs/services provided by Hospital and where they are located
BS or MS in Anatomic Pathology, Medical Technology, Biological science or equivalent education.
Meets the qualification requirements of testing personnel (42CFR 493.1489) to perform high complexity testing, and be under the supervision of a qualified pathologist. Experience equal to at least 3 months in laboratory specialty of Histology and/or Pathology.
ASCP PA Certification