Patient Access Coordinator Scheduler-Patient Access-16 Hrs/Week- Day/Evening Shift
Performs a variety of Patient Registration duties to include, but not limited to: scheduling, greeting and registering patients, data entry, and telephone duties. Responsible to collect accurate demographics and financial information from patients who receive services at CGSMC. Verify insurance eligibility using POS and On-Line eligibility resources. Track and file (scan) all physician orders. Enforcing HIPAA regulations and scanning signed acknowledgement forms. Schedules all outpatient appointments in the hospital computer system, either MSM or MediTech for all Medical Center Customers. This will be done in a timely manner and with the goal of 100% customer satisfaction. Assist in booking patients from newborn to geriatrics.
- Schedules patient appointments.
- Generates patient appointment schedules.
- Greets and receives patient on arrival, participates in the patient identification process, regularly acknowledges patient during appointment wait time, and acknowledges patient at time of appointment departure - all while consistently communicating arrival and wait times to Women's Imaging staff.
- Assembles patient exam/procedure order/appointment packets and exam labels.
- Updates demographics at time of check-in as needed; Verifies patient identification.
- Places ID wristband on patients.
- Assists in the reconciliation of all exam/procedure charge captures.
- Performs patient order entry, registration, and pre-registration.
- Assists in the patient call-back procedure (in collaboration with Women's Imaging staff) including data-tracking, and appointment scheduling.
- Assists with voice mail management.
- Assists with order-filing and related record-keeping in accordance with regulatory requirements.
- Participates in the coordination and communication of exam/procedure results and mammography result letters.
- Participates in appointment reminder notifications; Assists in interpreter services coordination.
- Performs other related support services as required.
- Consistently maintains work schedule and attendance requirements as stated in the Medical Center's policies.
- Reports to work on time and/or is ready to report at change of shift as documented by time card and supervisor's observance.
- Flexes between departments/functions as needed to provide adequate coverage.
- Covers vacant shifts as needed.
- Promotes a good image of the Medical Center through contacts with patients, doctors, and the public.
- Contributes to the benefit of the Medical Center by developing new methods and procedures which may lead to reduce costs and improve efficiency.
- Demonstrates awareness of and responds to customer needs in a continuing effort to improve quality of service.
- Displays willingness and flexibility in learning new functions and achieving integration and teamwork necessary to compete in the healthcare environment.
- Create a friendly, caring environment for patients, families, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
- Demonstrate a caring attitude by responding quickly to the needs of others.
- Take time to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Be a team player and work cooperatively and collaboratively with others to deliver the most efficient services and resolve problems.
- Provides access to all external and internal customers by collecting accurate demographics, clinical, and financial information in a timely and professional manner via telephone or in person. The Patient Registration Department works cooperatively with every department of the Medical Center, medical staff and their offices, insurance providers, funeral homes, and other Steward facilities.
- Create a friendly, caring environment for patients, families, visitors, and staff. Respond quickly to the needs of others as appropriate.
- Maintain a calm and professional demeanor at all times when talking with patients, families' visitors and employees.
- Maintains patient confidentiality and dignity at all times in accordance with HIPAA guidelines and regulations.
- Strive to do your job in the best possible way and improve overall department performance for customer and staff satisfaction.
- Look for ways to improve department procedures/functions and be open to new ideas and assignments.
- Follows approved/established routes of communication.
- Understand and comply with EMTALA regulations as they relate to the Patient Registration process by ensuring that patients are not registered prior to being triaged by an ED Triage Nurse.
- Be attentive to the ED waiting area and ambulance arrivals to ensure timely registration of patients.
- Use sound judgment to use a STAT registration during busy times or based on patient/family/clinical circumstances.
- Follow up on data gathering as soon as possible and by using all information resources as appropriate.
- When covering ambulance registrations, sign-in ED admissions.
- Effectively and appropriately utilizes departmental, as well as, hospital paging/beeper systems.
- Assist patients if they need to reschedule an appointment.
- Offer payment alternatives (free care, grant services) and refer patient to financial counseling if patient has no insurance.
- Flag procedures that need insurance precertification for physician's offices.
- Answers the telephone promptly.
- Make every effort to accommodate the patient and physician when scheduling appointments.
- Explain to patients and physician's offices any special instruction or warning that may be involved in a procedure.
- Work as part of the scheduling team to improve services to the other hospital departments and physician's offices.
- Greets and assists patients, without delay, as they enter the medical center.
- Chooses correct patient from the Master Patient Index. (MPI)
- Registers patients assigning the correct patient type.
- Accurately gathers all demographic and financial information.
- Chooses appropriate forms required for medical record completion
- (i.e. Workmen's Comp, Pediatric Assessment, Medicare Notice).
- Obtains the necessary signatures for Consent for Treatment from adult patients and parental signatures for minors.
- Bands patient with appropriate ID bracelet.
- Contacts Interpreter Services to assist with registration of Non-English speaking patients.
- Issues all necessary handouts to patients based on their age and government regulations.
- Contacts patient to pre-register for upcoming services and directs the patient to appropriate campus.
- Contacts Health Information Services to request patient's medical record.
- Notifies Health Information Services when duplicate medical records are identified.
- Verifies patient insurance eligibility using Nehen, Web Md and Revs.
- Refers uninsured and other patients to Financial Counselor for follow up.
- Collects co-payments for a variety of services.
- Prioritizes job responsibilities in order to provide the best possible service.
- Collect all necessary information to book an outpatient appointment in the hospital computer system.
- Accurately enter all patient's demographic and insurance data into the hospital computer system.
- Accurately book the appropriate procedure in the appropriate location for the appropriate date and time.
- Indicate any special need that the patient may have.
- Keep track of cancellations.
- High School diploma required.
- Proficient at utilizing NEHEN/Emdeon/ and other eligibility software.
- Proficient at identifying patient residuals – current (co-pays, deductibles, coinsurance) and prior balances
Proficient at educating patients on their financial responsibilities and on collecting patient responsible balances.
- Meets quality standards for functions performed in this role.
- Meets productivity standards for functions performed in this role.
- Meditech knowledge helpful.
- Previous computer entry / word processing experience required.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills required.
Job Status: Part Time
Job Reference #: 3736