Pharmacist Retail-Pharmacy-40 Hrs/Week-Evening Shift-Rotating Weekends
II. Job Relationships:
Reports directly to the Pharmacy Manager.
Maintains informational and clinical relationships with Providers, Clinical Managers, and Clinical Coordinator of Pharmacy Services.
He/She is empowered to utilize any support staff within the department.
The pharmacist may be responsible for the purchase of pharmacy inventory to include narcotics and other necessary drugs, equipment, and items to insure availability. When there is an established formulary, the pharmacist is required to adhere to that formulary or follow the established procedure for exceptions.
Has the authority to prepare and dispense prescription medicine in accordance with the Health Center policies and all State/Federal regulations.
Has authority to act as a source of drug information for the clinicians associated with SEHC.
Has authority to evaluate a patient's medical profile for possible drug interactions, drug-disease interactions, duplicate therapies, and to notify the clinician where appropriate.
Has authority to supervise the activities of the Pharmacy Technicians and/or Pharmacy/Interns.
Has authority to receive prescriptions from patients and obtain any needed information.
Has authority to handle minor problems that occur, and to refer major problems or complaints to the Pharmacy Manager.
Has the requisite authority required to accomplish the objectives set forth in the department's Provision of Services Plan and to accomplish the following responsibilities:
IV. A. Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
1.) "Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers,
and patients as referenced in the “Achieving Excellent Care Standards", while abiding by all “Standards of Behavior-Respect, Communication, Compassion, Teamwork, and Accountability.”
2.) Must be team-oriented and possess excellent organizational and productivity skills to perform duties in a high volume pharmacy. Must possess proficient skills to work with pharmacy computer software and pharmacy automation systems.
* Perform monthly rotation duties as a team leader to ensure that all aspects of the daily pharmacy operations are carried out in an organized and efficient manner.
* Assist in the Pharmacy Department’s Cost-Savings Initiative Program, which includes:
-Drug Utilization Review to maintain the most cost-effective and therapeutically effective medication therapy for the US Family Health Plan members.
-Calling and or sending information to USFHP members to enroll them in the USFHP Mail Order Pharmacy Benefit.
* Assist with Prior Authorization and Medical Necessity requests for USFHP members.
* Must possess effective communication and clinical skills to counsel patients on their medication therapy.
* Ensure that the work areas and countertops are kept clean, and to notify ABAHG for special cleaning issues.
* Answer telephone calls promptly and courteously while identifying name and position title to the caller.
* Must be able to utilize pharmacy software system to aid in the preparation of prescriptions. This shall include label generation, editing prescriptions, preparing various cost-analysis reports, adding drugs to the database, and other functions as deemed appropriate by the Pharmacy Manager.
* Must be able to interact with the pharmacy software computer vendor’s help desk to resolve issues that arise.
* Must possess a proficiency to utilize and navigate the health center’s electronic health record system.
* Assist in ensuring that expired medication checks are performed monthly.
* Assist in any Quality Management projects as requested by the Pharmacy Manager.
* Assist in training new employees and improving skills of existing support staff.
B. Responsibilities/Non-Essential Functions:
* Assist in ordering medications through the wholesaler.
* Assist in preparation of yearly pharmacy inventory.
V. Reporting Requirements:
* Prepares a printout of a prescription history for any patient that makes such a request.
* Notifies the Pharmacy Manager immediately of any incidents representing potential or actual liability. Must have the ability to utilize the on-line incident reporting system.
* Shall be accountable for obtaining medicine in the most cost effective manner.
* Shall be responsible for the appropriateness and accuracy of the medicine dispensed.
* Shall be accountable for maintaining the confidentiality and security of all hospital-related, medical staff-related, and patient-related data and information.
* Shall be accountable for abiding by all relevant health center policies and procedures.
* Shall be accountable for abiding by all Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations standards and regulations as applicable to the job position.
BS in Pharmacy
Must have experience working in a retail or managed care pharmacy.
Strong orientation to patient care in accordance with the Medical Center's values.
Computer literacy with proficiency in general word-processing and data entry.
Strong organizational, prioritization, communication, and mathematical skills.
Knowledge of third party payers and insurance plans.
Ability to understand the importance of and respect the confidentiality of all patient information.
Registration as a Pharmacist in the State of Massachusetts.
Completion of continuing education requirements as set forth by the Board of Registration in Pharmacy.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 12069