Pharmacy Technician - Reg & Certified Required
Internal posting 12.6-13. 2019
Registration & Certification Required
Under the direction of the Pharmacy Director and supervision of a pharmacist. Pharmacy technicians assist pharmacists in preparing and distributing medications, and maintaining the drug inventory. Prepares and repackages unit dose medication, following established protocols and guidelines. Follows all Pharmacy Department established policies and procedures
Delivers and refills Schedule II through VI medication for the automated dispensing machines. The certified pharmacy technician will be able to pick orders for Pyxis. Will check and refill orders for Schedule IV medication. Schedule II through V medication are dispensed by a registered pharmacist and delivered by a certified pharmacy technician. Prepares and prepackages unit dose medication, following established protocols and guidelines.
A. Procures and distributes medication orders per pharmacist request, or
pre-arranged work assignment according to established policies, procedures, and protocols.
1. Fills medication orders, medication surgical kits, medication carts, Pyxis machines and stock requisitions accurately.
2. Replenishes medications in emergency crash carts or floor stock areas accurately.
3, Prepares intravenous admixtures or other sterile products (including chemotherapy) accurately.
4, Delivers medications and supplies to patient care and ancillary areas accurately per established
B. Maintains adequate stock of medications and supplies according to established
policies and procedures.
1. Assists in ordering, receiving, unpacking, and storing pharmaceuticals and supplies in
2. Rotates stock to ensure use before expiration date.
3. Identifies and replaces outdated and unusable drugs.
4. Restocks medication and IV dispensing areas.
5. Prepackages bulk medications in unit dose packages.
C. Contributes to the effective operation of the department.
1. Picks up orders, requisitions, and medications for return from patient care areas when on
2. Enters charges and credits for patient medications accurately.
3. Generates reports, pick lists, and labels as required.
4. Answers the telephone, identifying self and department. Directs calls to appropriate personnel.
5. Answers requests at the window and makes stat deliveries to patient care areas when requested.
6. Comply with chapter 797 monitoring standards.
7. Complies with all State and Federal rules, regulations and laws which govern the practice of pharmacy.
D. Organizes and prioritizes work assignments.
1. Maintains logs, records, and other required documentation accurately. Files documentation in
2. Demonstrates good oral and written communication.
3. Keeps pharmacy areas clean, neat, and well-organized. Keeps pharmacy equipment clean.
E. Participates in the quality improvement activities of the department.
1. Completes and documents all assigned medication storage area inspections at least monthly.
Identifies and replaces outdated and unusable drugs.
2. Collects data, conducts quality monitors, and completes documentation as assigned.
F. Maintains competence required for current job title/position.
1. Maintains current technician certification.
2. Attends pharmacy staff meetings.
3. Participates in orientation, education, and training programs. Reviews literature and other
materials as assigned.
4. Completes all competence/skills assessment requirements.
G. Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
(Examples: Ability to work independently and take initiative; Good judgment and problem solving skills; Communication skills; Interpersonal and organizational skills; Level of confidentiality)
Satisfies requirements as a certified pharmacy technician.
Registered with the Massachusetts Board of Pharmacy as a technician
High School Diploma or Equivalent.
Hospital Pharmacy experience is preferred
Meditech and Pyxis experience a plus
SCHEDULE REQUIREMENTS FOR PER DIEM: