Responsible for performing venipuncture on patient. Performs in accordance with the facility’s policies and procedures. Follows the facility’s standards for ethical business conduct. Conducts self as a positive role model and team member. Participates in facility committees, meetings, in-services, and activities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepares equipment to efficiently collect blood products. Maintains adequate supplies.
- Performs venipuncture and capillary punctures on patients. Identifies and labels specimens.
- Conducts waived laboratory tests on specimens.
- Assists donor before, during and after donation. Instructs patients on urine and stool collection procedures.
- Enters data into computer
- Cleans/sterilizes equipment, instruments and work area following safety, cleanliness and infection control procedures.
- Inventory supplies and places orders.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- Other duties as assigned
- The job holder must demonstrate current competencies applicable to the position.
High school diploma or equivalent. Some work experience in healthcare is preferred. Completion of Phlebotomy training course is required, certification is preferred.
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of phlebotomy techniques.
- Knowledge of clinic protocols and policies.
- Skill in performing venipuncture and capillary blood collection.
- Skill in pleasant interactions with staff, patients and others.
- Ability to accommodate on-call shift and weekend/holiday rotations.
- Ability to respond appropriately to instructions.
- Ability to work independently.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to walk; stand; reach with hands and arms; lift; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit. May be exposed to various patient conditions including infectious diseases, blood, and bodily fluids. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.