SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Responsible for evaluating and treating adult and pediatric patients on assigned caseload. Meets regularly with his/her supervisor in order to provide for learning and professional growth. Implements the policies and procedures of the Department and Hospital.
- Completion of academic and clinical requirements as set forth by the American Physical Therapy Association.
- Graduation from curriculum in Physical Therapy approved by the American Physical Therapy Association.
- Adherence to standards set by the American Physical Therapy Association regarding practice and professional ethics.
- Current licensure in the State of Massachusetts.
- Minimum two years of experience working with a neurologically impaired patient population. Outpatient neurorehabilitation experience preferred.
- Hearing ability and verbal skill to communicate effectively face-to-face and by telephone.
- Writing and reading fluently in English.
- Driving an automobile and van.
- Cognitive ability to analyze data, utilize safe operational judgment, and problem-solve.
1. Assumes full responsibility for outpatient neurorehabilitation physical therapy caseload. If outpatient neurorehabilitation caseload is low, assumes responsibility for assigned caseload in other areas of the department as needed.
a. Advocates effectively for each patient as needed.
b. Demonstrates holistic approach to patient care; i.e., coordinating social, emotional, cognitive, environmental and physical issues.
c. Full caseload is generally 6.0 hours/8.0-hour day of direct treatment time. (E)
2. Following receipt of appropriate referral, completes thorough and timely evaluations of each patient. (E)
a. Reviews medical record as appropriate and conducts initial interview; documents in initial contact note as appropriate.
b. Chooses appropriate examination techniques and implements according to patient diagnosis and/or problems.
c. Performs thorough evaluation, and completes database and places in medical record within two working days of initiation for inpatients and within one working day for outpatients.
d. Actively includes patient and/or family in evaluation process, including identification of meaningful goals and interpretation of findings..
e. Utilizes an age-appropriate approach in evaluating each patient.
3. Establishes appropriate discharge goals and short-term objectives as indicated by each patient's needs & preferences. (E)
a. Goals reflect patient needs as identified on evaluation.
c. Discharge goals are realistic in terms of discharge plan (ELOS & planned discharge site) and patient status.
d. Short-term objectives relate to discharge goals, and realistic time frames are set.
e. Writes all goals in measurable, objective & behavioral language.
4. Plans and implements age-appropriate physical therapy treatment modality and/or technique relevant to patient status and documented goals.
a. Identifies level of skilled treatment required. (E)
b. Selects appropriate modalities and/or techniques according to each individual patient's needs. (E)
c. Determines appropriate duration and frequency of treatment. (E)
d. Demonstrates competency in performance of individual and group treatment programs. (E)
e. Revises treatment plans on the basis of patient response and/or progress. (E)
f. May orient Rehabilitation Aide to patient programs and supervises per departmental guidelines. (E)
g. Participates in patient-related clinics related to assigned patients. (E)
h. May be responsible for coordination of and participation in patient-related clinics, such as orthotics and seating.
5. Responsible for thorough and ongoing patient and/or family education related to each patient's physical therapy program. (E)
a. Discusses purpose of physical therapy with each patient at initial contact.
b. Provides patient/family education regarding evaluation results and benefits/risks of treatment options.
c. Provides ongoing patient and/or family education and teaching relative to each patient's requirements.
d. Performs patient and/or family teaching to adequately prepare patient for safe discharge.
6. Coordinates and/or participates in team care planning process for each patient. (E)
a. Actively participates in or sends reports to team progress meetings on assigned patients.
c. Periodically reviews treatment plan for feasibility.
d. Provides information related to equipment and continued treatment needs, as applicable, to patient/family/MD/other team members in timely fashion.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 13728