Physical Therapy Assistant
Posted Date: 5/3/2019
- Promotion of a culture of patient safety which resulted in the identification and reduction of unsafe practices.
- Utilization of Culture of Safety survey responses in improvement efforts.
- Identification of risks and hazards to patients through various risk assessments, with actions taken to mitigate patient harm
- Improvement in medication safety practices, including increased reporting of adverse drug events and improved compliance with the medication reconciliation process
- Decreased, hospital-acquired infections and improved compliance with infection control practices (including hand hygiene)
- Decreased hospital acquired conditions such as complications associated with ventilator use and pressure ulcers, through improved compliance with patient safety bundles and/or other formal performance improvement programs.
- Maintains annual requirements for mandatory in-services and tests (JCAHO, Competency, TB, and CPR). Abides by department and hospital policies and procedures. Competent in safety and risk management procedures (Fire, Infection Control, etc.)
- Uses equipment and supplies in a respectful and cost-effective manner
- Attends all scheduled department meetings and in-services. Demonstrates initiative by active participation. Is able to receive and benefit from constructive criticism in a positive manner.
- Consistently displays courteous telephone skills, identifying self and department and competent in beeper paging system.
- Provides assistance with non-patient care related activities of department when requested (clerical, central supply, etc.) without complaints.
- Assists in orienting, training, and supervising new personnel (including students, observers and interns)
- Delegate duties to supportive personnel as indicated and supervises at the appropriate level.
- Employee is present for at least 1 treatment of every patient daily.
- Submits patient treatment charges accurately and in a timely manner. (prior to end of shift)
- Assists in developing and/or revising department forms; develops, learns, and implements new program/technique annually.
- Assists with review of policies and procedures manual. Actively participates in department CQI activities as needed.
- Assists in preparing and cleaning treatment areas. Keeps department clean and organized.
- Assists in maintaining inventory of supplies and equipment. Notifies secretary or supervisor when supplies needed or equipment repairs needed.
- Receives physician referral, reviews chart and evaluation performed by O.T. prior to initiating treatment.
- Is aware of possible contraindications for specific procedures and notifies physicians as needed. Reviews patient’s chart on an ongoing basis. (100% accuracy no incidents)
- Takes an active role in monitoring patient during treatment, recognizes emergency situations, and is able to initiate CPR.
- Carries a satisfactory daily workload. Willing to assist others when own workload is completed (unless other duties needed)
- Is acquainted with local fire and safety regulations.
- Has knowledge of hospital policies and the functions of the other departments.
- Educates and orients patient and/or significant other to treatment and actively involves them in goals and treatment plan.
- Consistently demonstrates interest, caring, consideration, and positive attitude when dealing with patient/significant others.
- Ensures safety and protects for modesty and comfort of patient during transport and treatment.
- Provides appropriate treatment techniques in accordance with patient’s diagnosis, limitations, and age.
- Reviews goals with O.T. and consults O.T. prior to changing treatment program.
- Documents each treatment session in a professional, legible manner to include, but not limited to, treatment given and patient’s response to treatment with co-signature of supervising O.T.
- Completes interdisciplinary plan of care upon admission and revises as necessary. Completes multidisciplinary teaching record as needed.
- Provides consultation to physicians, nursing, and support staff as needed. Participates on hospital committees as requested.
- Provides care appropriate to condition and age of the patient, including pediatric, geriatric and general population. (See Performance Evaluation Age-Related Competency)
- Meets dress code standards; appearance is neat and clean.
- Completes annual educational requirements.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
- Reports to work on time and as scheduled; completes work within designated time.
- Consistently completes and maintains assigned duties;.
- Wears identification while on duty; uses computerized punch time system correctly.
- Attends annual review and department in services, as scheduled.
- Attends staff meetings, reads and returns all monthly staff meeting minutes.
- Maintains hospital requirements, policies and standards on confidentiality.
- Represents the organization in a positive and professional manner.
- Actively participates in performance improvement activities.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the facility.
- High School graduate or equivalent;
- An Associate of Science Degree in Occupational Therapy Assistant from an institution approved and accredited by the National Board of Certified Occupational Therapists.
- BLS certification mandatory
- Ability to read and communicate effectively in English.
- Additional languages preferred.
- Must hold an active license in this state or hold a temporary permit awaiting reciprocity or licensure examination. Must possess good organizational and time management skills. Must also have good communicative skills to interact with individuals appropriately, on a professional and non-professional basis.
- For physical demands of position, including vision, hearing, repetitive motion and environment, see following description.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising client care.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 4852