Steward Medical Group at Hawthorn Medical Associates is looking for an enthusiastic Physician Documentation Specialist (PDS) to assist our providers in the treatment of patients. The successful candidate will:
- At the physician’s discretion, the PDS may accompany the supervising physician during a patient’s history taking and examination.
- The PDS will record onto the electronic medical record (Athena) the details of the patient’s visit as directed by the physician. The physician may elect to personally document any part of any patient’s record, or to complete it in its entirety.
- The PDS, at the direct request of the physician, may elicit and record elements of the medical history, social and family history through direct questioning of the patient and or the patient’s family. In such cases, the physician must personally confirm this information to his/her satisfaction.
- The PDS may assist the physician with researching and recording a patient’s PMH by reviewing notes, reports, referral notes from other health care facilities, and hospital records (e.g., prior admission notes, discharge summaries, operative/procedure notes and ED records).
- The PDS will enter all orders for patient care utilizing electronic medical record (Athena). The PDS will enter orders as a delegate of the physician.
- The PDS will record all discharge documentation, including personalized discharge instructions, referrals, work/school notes and prescriptions.
- Ability to read and write English
- Knowledge of medical terminology; familiar with Electronic Medical Records
- Ability to successfully interact with medical staff, patients, and families
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and conform to all standards of HIPPA, compliance and privacy regulations
- Medical Assistant Certificate
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred with some healthcare experience; current medical students encouraged to apply.
We offer you:
- Vacation, holiday and sick time
- Medical, dental, vision and other elective insurances
- Tuition reimbursement
- 401K with company contribution
- Supportive culture and professional development
Steward Health Care is the largest private, for-profit health care network in the United States. The company is owned and led by a management team of Steward Physicians. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward employs more than 40,000 health care professionals and operates 35 hospitals across the United States and in the countries of Malta and Colombia which regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, more than 7,000 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
The Steward Health Care Network includes more than 5,000 physicians across 800 communities who help to provide more than 12 million patient encounters annually. Steward Medical Group, the company's employed physician group, provides more than six million patient encounters per year. The Steward Hospital Group operates hospitals in Malta, Colombia and nine states across the U.S., including Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah. For more information, visit www.steward.org.
Hawthorn Medical Associates, an affiliate of Steward Health Care, was established in 1970 and is the largest multi-specialty group practice in the Greater New Bedford area. We have many of the area’s finest physicians who practice in our state-of-the-art facilities in a campus-like setting. They are supported by a skilled professional and support staff and together provide high quality, comprehensive medical care to more than 138,000 patients each year.