Polysomnography Tech-Uncertified, Per Diem
Works under the supervision of the Medical Director, Administrative Director, and Technologist Managers. Performs, assigns and assists with the performing of sleep disorders testing. Performs technical analysis and report tabulation of Polysomnograms. Responsible for the night time technical operation of the Sleep Lab. Compiles information, interviews and instructs patients and their families. Helps maintain the lab within American Academy of Sleep Medicine guidelines. Assists with the development and presentations of department related programs as needed. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Accountable for ensuring the effectiveness and efficiency of operational processes for Steward Health Care System, as described by SHCS’ corporate mission and executive leadership team.
2. Accountable for performing sleep studies per written order and protocol and recognizing Sleep Pathologies and applying appropriate therapeutic interventions
3. Accountable for providing exceptional customer service
4. Accountable for the safety and well-being of all Sleep patients
5. Accountable for maintaining current and accurate patient files
1. High School Diploma
2. Clinical or Collegiate experience in sleep medicine technology, EEG or respiratory experience required.
3. Preferably graduate of a PSG Certificate Program. BCLS certified.
4. Computer literacy
A. Involves other departments in project planning and implementation.
B. Supports others in the department and provides help and assistance when possible.
C. Regularly attends and participates in team and/or departmental meetings and activities.
D. Keeps others in the department informed of relevant information.
E. Regularly offers and requests constructive feedback and coaching.
F. Establishes and maintains effective working relations.
SERVICE EXCELLENCE (both internal and external)
A. Welcomes patients/customers/employees in a warm, friendly manner.
B. Actively listens and constructively responds to questions and concerns in a timely manner.
C. Ensures that the dignity of the patient/customer/employee is maintained at all times.
D. Abides by and upholds the hospital’s service excellence standards.
E. Respects the diversity of the patient/customer/employee population.
F. Demonstrates safe and effective use of equipment
1. Perform Polysomnographs on pediatric, adult, and geriatric patients of the best possible quality, safely and aseptically utilizing appropriate monitoring and therapeutic equipment.
2. Performs MSLT’s/ MWT’s on pediatric, adult, and geriatric patients, safely and aseptically utilizing appropriate monitoring and therapeutic equipment.
3. Complete Technologist Protocol and Summary Sheet thoroughly and accurately, including patient medications, H&P and comments.
4. Monitor the quality of Polysomnographic data and the clinical status of patients while sleeping and record findings on the sleep study record.
5. Regularly keeps the Medical Director apprised patient risk and of potentially life-threatening events.
6. Ensure written orders for sleep study are on record prior to performing any procedure and compare information to technologist protocol and summary sheet.
7. Assist in ambulation of patients over short distances (e.g. bed to toilet).
8. Greet patients and family members and fully explain the procedure, allaying any fears, anxieties and provide reassurance. Educate patients on their sleep problem in relation to testing to be performed.
9. Enter billing information into facility health information system for tests performed.
10. Ensure that all procedural signatures from patient have been collected and entered into database.
11. Demonstrate judicious and conscientious use of supplies and equipment.
12. Communicate technical difficulties, troubleshooting and malfunctioning equipment to appropriate manager.
13. Efficiently call in pending patients from cancellation list when a testing opening occurs.
14. Perform Positive Pressure Therapy in accordance with established guidelines.
15. Perform use of oxygen equipment in accordance with established guidelines.
16. Assist in training of new employees and students on the aspects of Polysomnography technology.
17. Analyze PSG studies and accurately create reports in a time frame within established guidelines.
18. Has consistent concordance (> 80%) with analysis of PSG studies as per established guidelines.