Pool Pharmacy Tech
Pharmacy technicians assist and support licensed pharmacists in providing health care and medications to patients. Pharmacy technicians must have a broad knowledge of pharmacy practice, and be skilled in the techniques required to order, stock, package, and compound and otherwise prepare medications.
- Procures and distributes medication orders per physician request, pharmacist request, or prearranged work assignment according to established policies, procedures, and protocols
- Fills physician orders, medication surgical kits, medication carts, stock requisitions and automated dispensing system refill lists accurately
- Replenishes medications in emergency drug containers and floor stock areas accurately
- Prepares intravenous admixtures and other sterile preparations safely and accurately using appropriate techniques including aseptic manipulations, garbing procedures, and aseptic work practices
- Delivers medications and supplies to patient care and ancillary areas accurately per established schedule
- Assist with the purchase of drugs and supplies in accordance with GPO bids and Steward best demonstrated practices
- Assists in ordering, receiving, unpacking, and storing medications and supplies in appropriate locations
- Rotates stock to ensure use before expiration date
- Completes and documents all assigned medication storage area inspections at least monthly; identifies and replaces outdated and unusable drugs
- Restocks medication and IV dispensing areas accurately within specified time periods
- Repackages bulk medications in unit-dose packages safely and accurately per established procedures using appropriate techniques
- Picks up orders, requisitions, and medications for return from patient care areas when on delivery rounds
- Assist in the process for patient and department charges, and that they are accurately and timely posted to accounts
- Generates reports, pick lists, and labels as required
- Answers the telephone, identifying self and department; directs calls to appropriate personnel
- May answers requests at the window (if applicable to hospital location) and makes stat deliveries to patient care and ancillary areas when requested
- Maintains logs, records, and other required documentation accurately; files documentation in appropriate locations
- Demonstrates competence in automated dispensing equipment and adheres to established processes and procedures
- Loads medications from restock lists into automated distribution system correctly
- Empties and reconciles contents of automated distribution equipment return bins
- Ensures that look-alike, sound-alike medications are segregated in automated distribution equipment
- Maintains outdated medication tracking function, ensuring appropriate expiration dates are entered, stock is rotated, and expired items removed from automated distribution equipment
- Maintains appropriate par levels for inventories in automated distribution equipment
- Accurately loads new inventory items and removes items deleted from inventory in automated distribution equipment
- Monitors automated distribution equipment stock-outs and resolves stock-outs in a timely manner
- Inspects medications in automated distribution equipment monthly, ensuring removal of expired and unusable medications and reconciliation of inventories
- Maintains security and confidentiality of passwords
- Attends and participates in departmental meetings, in-services, and quality improvement programs
- Maintains all required training and education per department requirements
- Adheres to hospital and departmental policies and procedures. Complies with all requirements related to risk management, safety, security, fire, and infection control. Complies with all applicable state, local and federal regulations
SECONDARY POSITION ROLES:
- Maintains safety-integrity-professionalism at all times
- Organizes and prioritizes work assignments
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication
- Keeps pharmacy areas clean, neat, and well organized; Keeps pharmacy equipment clean
- Collects data, conducts quality monitors, and completes documentation as assigned
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Wears hospital badge identification while on duty.
- Meets dress code standards; appearance is neat and clean. Is conscientious in regard to personal hygiene.
- Treats patients and families with respect and dignity. Assures confidentiality of patient records.
- Maintains a good working relationship both within the department and with other departments.
- Assists in the resolution of problems or concerns while being a supportive team member.
- Consistently strives to promote great customer service in all aspects of the job.
Education: High school degree or equivalent
Experience: Previous experience as a hospital pharmacy technician preferred; ACPE or ASHP accredit course in compounding sterile preparations preferred.
Certification/Licensure: Current technician certification and required licensing
Equal Opportunity Employer; Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled