Reg Resp Ther (RRT), Respiratory Therapy, Per Diem
I. POSITION SUMMARY
Evaluates and treats patients. Also responsible for documentation and billing.
This a per diem position with varied shifts available.
Reports to the Respiratory Manager.
1. Graduate of a National Board for Respiratory Care program, accredited or approved by the American Medical Association.
2. Current Respiratory Therapist license in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
3. BLS Certification from American Heart Association required, and NRP certification required (or must obtain within one year of date of hire)
IV. PERFORMANCE CRITERIA
1. TEAM WORK
A. Involves other departments in project planning and implementation.
B. Supports others in the department and provides help and assistance when possible.
C. Regularly attends and participates in team and/or departmental meetings and activities.
D. Keeps others in the department informed of relevant information.
E. Regularly offers and requests constructive feedback and coaching.
F. Establishes and maintains effective working relations.
2. SERVICE EXCELLENCE (both internal and external)
A. Welcomes patients/customers/employees in a warm, friendly manner.
B. Actively listens and constructively responds to questions and concerns in a timely manner.
C. Ensures that the dignity of the patient/customer/employee is maintained at all times.
D. Abides by and upholds the hospital's service excellence standards.
E. Respects the diversity of the patient/customer/employee population.
F. Demonstrates safe and effective use of equipment.
1. Performs patient assessments and re-assessments in a skillful, accurate and timely manner.
2. Initiates, monitors and evaluates mechanical ventilation and adjunct techniques, including manual ventilation.
3. Performs bronchial hygiene and lung expansion, including CPT, percussion, vibration, breathing exercises, incentive spirometry, and intermittent positive pressure breathing.
4. Demonstrates proficiency in administration and monitoring of aerosol/humidity therapy.
5. Performs safe and effective airway management including suctioning, assisting with airway insertion/intubations, tracheotomy care, and CPR initiation.
6. Performs accurate arterial blood gas techniques.
7. Respects diversity and demonstrates ability to treat patients based on individual needs, age, culture and diagnosis, including knowledge level, techniques/skills, communicational skills, Education to patient/family, medication administration.
8. Maintains documentation according to department policies, utilizing:
A. Thoroughness and accuracy
C. Neatness and legibility
9. Demonstrates good judgment and independent work skills including:
A. Seeking assistance when appropriate
B. Communicating issues and ideas to Manager
C. Problem solving appropriately
D. Working cooperatively as a team member
10. Shows self-initiative in attending in-service, literature review, and self-study.
A. Participates in at least one seminar/course program per year.
B. Shares clinical knowledge with department.
11. Actively demonstrates positive Service Excellence, including:
A. Ensures patient/customer dignity is maintained at all times.
B. Respects and responds to patient/customer needs and concerns promptly.
C. Abides and upholds the hospital Service Excellence standards.
12. Demonstrates good communication and appropriate working relationship with patients, families, colleagues, physicians and other hospital staff.
13. Demonstrates positive communication and interpersonal skills: Verbal and Non-verbal
14. Provides supervision to students, volunteers, and aides.
15. Seeks assistance appropriately from staff, nursing, and Supervisor.
16. Demonstrates flexibility to meet department and area of service needs through coverage, schedule changes and assistance to others.
17. Demonstrates an ability to organize time, workload and patients effectively, so as to maintain weekly productivity standards: Uses support staff
18. Submits charges that are accurate and timely.
19. Participates in department and hospital meetings and committees.
20. Participates in PI process, data collection and quality improvement of department.
21. Attended/successfully completed Safety Fair quiz in past year.
22. Demonstrates safe and effective use of clinical equipment.
23. Maintains a professional manner, dress and action; adheres to department, professional and regulatory agency guidelines.
24. Ensures that staff and patient confidentiality is strictly upheld.
Job Status: On Call
Job Reference #: I51429