Registrar, PRN (Admitting)
The Admitting Registrar is responsible for timely and accurate patient registration resulting in
seamless hand off to clinical departments. The Admitting Registrar interviews the patient, obtains and records applicable demographic and financial information, ensures insurance eligibility, performs pre-cert/authorization, calculates and collects patient portion at time of service.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Consistently supports and communicates the Mission, Vision and Values of St. Joseph
2. Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability
and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of
Protected Health Information (PHI).
3. Promotes a culture of safety for patients and employees through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
4. Greets patient immediately upon his/her arrival in the registration area, utilizing the appropriate
Registration Tracker (ED and non-ED) to date/time stamp patient arrival time, registration
begin and end times, delay reasons, and other pertinent registration throughput data elements
5. Achieves targeted registration turn-around-times
6. Researches scheduled appointment log and/or secures a copy of the physicians order to ensure
registration to the correct patient type and status with appropriate routing
7. Notifies the appropriate clinical department if the patient has arrived too early or late for
their appointment; coordinates the registration process convenient to the physician and/or
clinical care area but in compliance with payer authorization and point of service
collection requirements (completing the registration process bedside or exam-side if necessary)
8. Provides bedside and Medical Screen Out (MSO) registration in the ED; in full compliance
with EMTALA rules and regulations
9. Research patient visit history to avoid account and/or medical record duplication and ensure
compliance with Medicare Payment Window Rules
10. Utilizes registration Quick Registration routine as instructed to ensure timely and appropriate
delivery of clinical care (ED services and Direct/Urgent/Stat orders)
11. Perform and document pre-cert/auth at time of service for all registrations and account status
changes (unit to unit and/or level of care)
12. Coordinates activities with physician offices to secure a fully compliant and authenticated
written physician order for service; ensures physician compliance with pre-cert/auth and/or referral
form requirements so that facility authorization can be obtained without delay
13. Assigns accurate and appropriately sequenced payer code/Insurance plans
14. Utilizes payer websites and/or eligibility vendor to obtain real time eligibility and benefit detail;
printing and/or cut-n-pasting detail to ensure availability for revenue cycle reference
15. Completes Medicare Secondary Payer Questionnaire to determine primary payer
16. Explains registration forms to the expressed understanding of the patient and obtains the
signature of the patient or authorized individual in compliance with state and federal guidelines
17. Distributes and Retains patient registration information for Medical Record and financial
purposes as per chart distribution guidelines
18. Calculates patient cost share and performs point of service collection in accordance with
upfront collection policy and procedure
19. Communicates with hospital case management as needed to ensure clinical detail is provided
to the payer in a timely manner
20. Utilize registration system notes to document important information related to the registration
process, insurance verification, pre-cert and upfront collection activities
21. Meet/exceed performance standards for customer service, registration turn-around-times,
productivity and upfront collection goals
22. Implements and follows system downtime procedures when necessary
23. Other duties as assigned
24. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by IASIS and demonstrated by:
a. Upholds the IASIS Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance.
b. Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
c. Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Regional Compliance & Safety Officer
and/or through corporate initiatives.
25. Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
* 2-3 years of registration or comparable work experience required
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
* High school diploma or GED required
* Technical, critical thinking, and interpersonal skills relevant to area in order to effectively communicate with physicians, health team members, patients and families.
* Ability to prioritize work with minimal supervision, in order to independently carry out the
duties of the position.
* Able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
* Additional languages preferred.
* Basic computer knowledge.
Job Status: On Call
Job Reference #: 9774