Respiratory Therapist - Registered, REQ# 7671, PD, As Needed
Must be available 12 weekend shifts per year
Must be available for 2 holiday shifts per year (Memorial Day, Independence Day or Labor Day) and one winter (Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year's)
Must be available 2 additional shifts per month
This position is covered by the SEIU Collective Bargaining Agreement
Provide high quality, thorough, safe, and aseptic respiratory care, in all recognized modes, to patients of all ages.
• Performs patient assessments in all age categories, including but not limited to, breath sounds, adequacy of ventilation and oxygenation, pulse rate, description of cough and sputum production, patients color, level of consciousness/mentation, and learning ability.
• Provides aerosolized bronchodilator, steroid, mucolytic, and antibiotic medications to newborn, infant, child, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patient populations via hand nebulizer or IPPB. Evaluates appropriateness and effectiveness of procedure. Explains benefits and possible side effects to patients and/or family members.
• Provides all recognized forms of oxygen therapy and aerosol therapy to newborn, infant, child, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patient populations. Evaluates appropriateness and effectiveness of therapy. Explains benefits and possible side effects to patients and/or family members. Performs room-to-room rounds according to established policy.
• Performs oximetry testing, to include spot checks, resting and exercise, continuous, and overnight studies.
• Initiates and maintains continuous mechanical and non-invasive ventilation according to established protocol. Continuous ventilation utilizing the PB 7200 Ventilator and the Servo i ventilator. Non-invasive ventilation to include CPAP and BiPAP. Performs appropriate ventilatory mechanics (Vt, VC, IF)
• Accurately takes telephone orders from physicians, limited to respiratory care procedures and medications, oxygen therapy, ventilator settings, and other procedures provided by the Respiratory Care Department.
• Performs arterial blood gas punctures according to established protocol. Recognizes critical values and communicates such to appropriate parties. Draws off Arterial Lines according to established protocol.
• Provides chest physical therapy techniques, to include cupping and clapping, flutter valve, vest airway clearance, and vibration, to infant, child, adolescent, adult, and geriatric patient
• populations. Evaluates appropriateness and effectiveness of therapy. Explains benefits and possible side effects to patients and/or family members.
• Instructs patients, or family members, in all forms of education, including asthma education, smoking cessation, metered dose inhalers, and peak flow. Understands cognitive limitations and accesses appropriate resources (interpreter or parent/guardian).
• Utilizes the appropriate self-inflating bag, depending on the age of the patient, and maintains artificial ventilation. Utilizes the appropriate artificial airway and provides bronchial hygiene as needed.
• Documents all therapy given in the appropriate area of the patient's medical record. Documents in the appropriate area in the Respiratory Therapy Department. Documents all patient education in the appropriate area.
• Enters all charges, according to established policy. Accesses the EMR when appropriate.
• Demonstrates judicious and conscientious use of equipment and supplies. Tracks equipment and returns to the department when not in use. Participates in the replenishing of oxygen cylinders in the appropriate locations throughout the hospital.
• Changes disposable equipment as according to policy. Cleans large items (ventilators etc.) according to established protocol. Properly assembles equipment post-cleaning. Delivers items to CSR that require sterilization and picks up items ready for return to department.
• Establishes and maintains effective and supportive relationships with patients and their families.
• Recognizes own learning needs and assumes responsibility for professional growth through continuing education. .
• Respiratory Practitioner Certification by the National Board of Respiratory Care;
• licensed by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
• ACLS and BLS certified.
Job Status: On Call
Job Reference #: 7671