Risk Manager, Full-Time, Days
This is a 40 hour per week position working Monday-Friday 8:30a-5:00p. Weekends as needed.
Under the direction of the Director of Quality & Safety, the Risk Manager is responsible for assisting in the compliance of the risk management program, including the identification, evaluation and treatment of risk in the organization. The Risk Manager participates in managing a systematic approach to identify, assess, and treat actual and potential exposures to loss through adverse event investigation and Root Cause Analysis. The Risk Manager reviews and analyzes incident reports (RL Solutions), assess the severity/harm to patients, conducts investigations with local and senior leadership and frontline staff. The Risk Manager will help to develop reports to review and monitor trending analysis to identify opportunities for improvement opportunities. The Risk Manager will assist the Director of Quality and Safety and the Chief Medical Officer with the compliance of the System-wide Quality and Safety Plan consistent with board approved plans and regulatory and standard setting agencies. The Risk Manager will review and assess adverse events for compliance with regulatory agencies to comply with required reporting to the DPH, DMH and any other required agency. The risk Manager will additionally support activities of designated risk, patient safety, and quality committees and other duties as directed.
Reports to the Director of Quality and Safety.
Minimum Education: Bachelor of Science in Health Care related field, Masters or JD preferred.
1. Two to five years experience within a hospital with a focus on patient safety, risk management or quality improvement. Experience and/or demonstrated understanding of root cause analysis and FMEA analysis
2. RN preferred or other Clinical background to provide for appropriate investigation of clinical events
3. BS required , MS preferred
1. Strong computer skills, including Microsoft office suite, including: Word, PowerPoint, Excel
2. Experience preferred with RL Solutions adverse event reporting software products
3. Strong organizational skills
4. Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work across disciplines
5. Ability to analyze data, formulate meaningful information
6. Ability to work with highly sensitive and confidential information with appropriate discretion
7. Able to communicate verbally and in writing in the English language
8. Training in patient safety or risk management and quality/performance
9. Improvement methodology, concepts, education and implementation
10. Membership and active participation in professional organization(s)
Certification/Licensure: Certified Professional in Healthcare Risk Management (CPHRM) or Certified Professional in Patient Safety (CPPS) preferred
1. TEAM WORK
a. Involves other departments in project planning and implementation.
b. Is supportive of others and provides help and assistance when possible.
c. Regularly attends and participates in team and/or department meetings and work activities.
d. Keeps others informed.
e. Regularly offers and requests constructive feedback and coaching.
f. Establishes and maintains effective working relations.
2. SERVICE EXCELLENCE (both internal and external)
a. Welcomes patients and customers in a warm, friendly manner.
b. Actively listens and constructively responds to questions and concerns in a timely manner.
c. Ensures the dignity of patient/customer is maintained at all times.
d. Abides by and upholds the Hospital Service Excellence Standards
e. Respects the diversity of the patient/customer population (i.e. ages and culture).
1. Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers, and patients as referenced in the Service Excellence Standards.
2. Facilitates weekly Patient Safety Triage Team meeting, Performance Improvement Task Forces and other related committees
3. Attends departmental/hospital meetings where risk management activities are performed, as agreed upon by the Director of Quality and Safety, Chief Medical Officer, and/or Chairman of the committee or the Director of Service.
4. Assists with follow-up of patient safety and risk issues addressed by the Quality and Safety Committee.
5. Assists departments with the integration of quality and risk management activities.
6. Reviews departmental quality indicators for compliance, appropriateness and rationale.
7. Reviews and analyzes incident reports, rates by severity and conducts all follow-up as identified from review. Completes trending analysis to identify top priority areas for improvement.
8. Conducts root cause analysis in the event of a sentinel or near miss event. Coordinates review of medical information, debriefs all individuals as identified, performs cause and effect analysis and coordinates expert panel review, root solution and follow-up for all incidents identified.
9. Conducts FMEA analysis when high volume, high risk opportunities are discovered through incident report analysis. Organizes team, creates process maps, creates failure modes analysis, and identifies prevention and/or corrective action strategies and implants as identified.
10. Assists Director with appropriate reporting of risk events to regulatory agencies and insurance carrier.
11. Understanding and implementation of programs related to national and local patient safety initiatives.
12. Acts as liaison to statewide and national collaborative for quality and safety initiatives.
13. Available via pager at all times during scheduled working hours. Available via pager on weekends-evenings for emergent risk issues.
14. Performs all other job related duties as requested by the Director of Quality and Safety.