Steward Health Care System LLC ("Steward") is a fully integrated, physician-led national health care services organization committed to providing the highest quality of care in the most cost-efficient manner in the communities where our patients live. Steward - the largest privately held health care company in the U.S. - owns and operates 35 community hospitals across nine states, serves over 1,000 distinct communities and employs approximately 40,000 health care professionals. In addition to our hospitals, the Steward provider network includes 4,800 providers, 25 urgent care centers, 87 preferred skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health offerings, over 7,300 hospital beds under management, and approximately 1.5 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
This position functions as a member of the administrative team by performing a variety of secretarial duties to ensure smooth day-to-day operations of the physician’s office. Duties to include, but are not limited to, answering telephones, making appointments, assembling patient charts, scheduling surgery and testing, typing, transcription, data entry and filing.
In addition, he/she will perform other related duties as required:
- Answers and triages all telephone calls, routes calls appropriately taking into consideration the extent of emergency or priority of the call, takes messages, follows through with each message ensuring that the proper physician or staff member has received the information and provides routine information to callers.
- Prepares daily schedules for the office, pulls and prepares charts ensuring that the proper chart has been selected and the appropriate paperwork has been attached to the chart (i.e., encounter form, etc.)
- Schedules outpatient procedures and applicable testing for patients as directed.
- Schedules patients’ appointments and appropriate testing for patients as directed. Verifies information from patients including demographic and health insurance information.
- Prepares documents for billing physician encounters, enters data, ensures that referrals are received, etc.
- Types correspondence, forms and other documents as requested. Enters information into the computer system. Transcribes dictation of a highly confidential nature.
- Organizes and updated files, charts and records.
- Uses discretion at all times to ensure patient confidentiality. Adheres to Steward’s Code of Conduct policy.
- Responsible for general filing, stocking and ordering of supplies.
- May act as the group leader in absence of the Practice Manager.
- Act as a department resource to others for information and training. Facilitate problem solving, providing appropriate direction to others.
- Organize complex meetings and conference calls.
- Maintain physician’s administrative and clinical calendars.
- Type correspondence, manuscripts, slide presentations, create departmental forms, transcribe letters as needed for physicians and facilitate notes and letters in the computer system.
- Recommend changes in office practices and procedures, i.e. filing system and organization of work.
- Performs other duties as requested.
- High school diploma required. Associates Degree preferred.
- One to two years related experience, preferably in a health care setting.
- Medical terminology experience preferred.
- Computer experience required.
- Strong communication and customer service skills required.
- Knowledge of insurance coverage systems, including but not limited to co-payments, referrals, HMO, PPO, and capitated products preferred.
- Ability to analyze operational issues and solve them creatively.
- Ability to multitask and work in a fast paced environment.
- Athena/Meditech experience preferred.Familiarity with 3rd party insurance required.
- Willing to be cross trained and provide coverage to front desk.