Section Leader, Full-Time, Days
The section leader is responsible for all activities related to the assigned section including supervision of personnel, evaluations, research and development, and other associated functions.
Reports to the Section Supervisor.
1. Bachelor degree in Medical Technology or equivalent education, training, and experience. Must be registry eligible.
2. Minimum of 2 years experience in a clinical laboratory, with at least 1-2 years in a specialty area if applicable.
1. TEAM WORK
A. Involves other departments in project planning and implementation.
B. Supports others in the department and provides help and assistance when possible.
C. Regularly attends and participates in team and/or departmental meetings and activities.
D. Keeps others in the department informed of relevant information.
E. Regularly offers and requests constructive feedback and coaching.
F. Establishes and maintains effective working relations.
2. SERVICE EXCELLENCE (both internal and external)
A. Welcomes patients/customers/employees in a warm, friendly manner.
B. Actively listens and constructively responds to questions and concerns in a timely manner.
C. Ensures that the dignity of the patient/customer/employee is maintained at all times.
D. Abides by and upholds the hospital’s service excellence standards.
E. Respects the diversity of the patient/customer/employee population.
F. Demonstrates safe and effective use of equipment.
1. Direct all routine and special laboratory testing on patient samples required in the assigned area.
A. Send-Out area: Responsible to see that all tests are performed correctly and in an orderly and timely manner; corrects any mistakes that are made including incorrect specimen, incorrect requisition and inform the tech that made the error; maintains a good rapport with the reference lab.
B. Hematology Area: Ensure proper procedures are followed, review all results reported, correct any errors and notify the supervisor of the corrections.
C. General Chemistry Area: Ensure that testing is being performed correctly and on a timely basis.
2. Assist the supervisor in implementing and maintaining a Quality Control Program.
A. Ensure QC is performed and recorded
B. Advise supervisor of trends, shifts, or rejected data and take corrective action as indicated.
3. Responsible for all equipment maintenance.
A. Ensure that maintenance procedures are performed correctly and timely
B. Instruct technologists on how to perform maintenance
C. Prepare and update maintenance manuals as necessary
D. Assures that any maintenance is performed. Keeps supervisor informed.
4. Functions in a temporary capacity as core lab supervisor as needed. Provide supervision to the department in the absence of the supervisor. Reviews QC and Serology work sheets.
5. Assist technologists in troubleshooting procedures and instruments. Aids in problem solving and initiates remedial instruction for those employees that may require some.
6. Assist in the preparation and/or prepares procedure manuals.
7. Perform inventory and order supplies.
8. Adhere to safety and infection control policies and procedures.
9. Provide orientation of new employees.
10. Assist the core lab supervisor with interviewing and hiring.
11. Actively supports the goals of the department.
12. Make recommendations and help perform method development.