About Steward Health Care System
Steward Health Care is the largest private, tax-paying physician-led health care network in the United States. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward operates 35 hospitals in the United States and the country of Malta that regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The company employs approximately 42,000 health care professionals. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, over 7,900 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
I. Position Function:
Responsible for the scheduling of all surgical procedures, and related testing for surgery patients.
II. Job Relationships:
The Coordinator works closely with the physicians, nursing staff, surgery residents and medical assistants and the medical center (i.e. Pre-Testing, OR Scheduling, Radiology). The Coordinator works closely with patients, the referring physicians and their office staff.
This Coordinator organizes and schedules the work flow of the surgeons’ operating room schedule assuring maximum use of OR time.
IV. A. Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
"Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers, and patients as referenced in the Service Excellence Standards."
- Schedules all surgical procedures for all l surgeons. This includes all major procedures, as well as, minor procedures and endoscopy procedures.
- Communicates pre-procedure information to patient which may include: date of procedure; arrival time or time of transfer; pre-procedure instructions (medication instructions, arrival instructions, directions to hospital, discharge information, answer patient questions regarding procedure).
- Obtains insurance authorization of all procedures.
- Works closely and maintains excellent relations with various department personnel within the Hospital system.
- The Coordinator provides front-desk/reception coverage as needed and deemed necessary by the Manager.
- The Coordinator will take on different and/or additional responsibilities as needed and deemed necessary by the Practice Manager.
- Take vitals when necessary
- Prepares the daily schedules for the office, pulls and prepares the patient charts, ensuring that the proper chart has been selected and the appropriate paperwork has been attached to the chart (i.e., encounter form, etc.)
- Room placement
- Record patient history, chief complaint, pharmacy info, prescription list, etc into EMR for physical
- Supply ordering
- Stocking of rooms
- Ordering tests, obtaining prior authorizations
- Requesting and obtaining referrals for patient visits and surgery
- Front desk support - phone triage, appointment scheduling and co-pay collection
Accountable for maintaining the confidentiality and security of all hospital-related, medical staff-related, and patient-related data and information.
Accountable for abiding by all relevant Hospital policies and procedures.
Accountable for obtaining necessary insurance authorization for procedures performed by the surgeons.
- Associates Degree or three years experience in a related health care environment.
- Three years experience in a related health care environment
- Articulate individual with excellent interpersonal and communication skills and with experience in dealing with both patients and health care providers.
- Necessary attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Understanding and familiarity of medical terminology.
- Strong computer skills.