Surgical Tech - FT 40 hours
Job Summary: Assists surgeon during invasive and non-invasive procedures. Ensures operating suite is adequately prepared for procedure and safe for patient care. Works with team members to monitor and maintain PAR levels of all surgical instruments and supplies. Assists with room turnover and the cleaning and sterilization of all surgical instruments. Participates in departmental staff meetings and performance improvement activities.
- Makes decisions reflecting knowledge of facts and good judgment within the Operating Room Technician’s scope of practice.
- Consults with other staff members, when in question or unfamiliar with equipment or procedure.
- Establishes and maintains effective communication and good working relationship with coworkers for the patient’s benefit
- Checks all equipment/instruments needed, prior to each procedure to ensure proper functioning.
- Prepares room in a timely manner with all anticipated instruments, sutures, supplies and equipment for each individual surgical procedure.
- Sets up, scrubs and prepares for procedures at least 15 minutes prior to scheduled time, unless otherwise directed by Circulating RN or Nurse Manager.
- Follows aseptic technique, when opening sterile supplies and setting up procedures.
- Always maintains an orderly and sterile instrument table for the purpose of efficiency; follows department standard set up.
- Maintains safe environment for patient, co-workers and self, per hospital policies and procedures.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Adapts procedures to meet individual needs of neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients for treatment.
- Performs services requiring technical or manual skills under the direction of Circulating RN.
- Carries out medical/surgical asepsis during treatments/procedures.
- Accurately completes operating room counts (instruments, sponges, needles); follows proper procedure in the event of incorrect count; reports all discrepancies to Circulating RN and surgeon and/or corrects immediately.
- Assists in patient transfer, positioning, prepping and draping of patients for surgical procedures.
- Demonstrates competence in care of specimens and accurately handles specimens at all times.
- Anticipates needs of surgeon during intraoperative phase.
- Cleans and prepares rooms between procedures and after last case; restocks supplies, when necessary and organizes effectively for end-of-case clean up.
- Regularly collaborates with other members of the nursing team, in order to maintain equipment and supplies for surgical procedures.
- Makes decisions reflecting knowledge of assigned case and instruments and/or trays to be pulled for the procedure.
- Is fully responsible for care of instruments/equipment during pre/ intra/postoperative phases, including cleaning and processing of instruments.
- Follows written procedures for steam sterilization; knows responsibilities and the necessity for chemical and biological monitoring.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent; Completion of an Accredited Surgical Technologist Program
Experience: Minimum of one (1) year work experience in the Operating Room.
Certification/Licensure: Surgical Technologist Certification required; Current BCLS Certification.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 8449