Unit Coordinator - 24 Hours - 7:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Location: Good Samaritan Medical Center
Posted Date: 7/2/2020
|Provide technical assistance to the nursing staff and performing a variety of computer, clerical, scheduling and supply functions necessary for the operation of the unit.|
1. Receives and greets visitors, patients and staff. Responds to questions appropriately, referring items in question to authorized staff.
2. Answers telephone promptly and in a courteous manner. Maintains positive communications with other departments. Makes telephone calls.
a) Physician consults.
b) Other departments for assistance (i.e. Information Systems).
c) Inform physicians of admissions.
3. Assists the staff by running errands, delivering specimens and paperwork, and checking mail.
4. Keeps nurses informed of in coming reports, new orders and other messages.
5. Demonstrate awareness of patient’s rights to privacy and confidentiality.
6. Transcribes physician and nursing orders in an accurate, neat and timely manner. Places appropriate orders onto the nursing Carded.
7. Assembles, labels and organizes the medical record for patient admissions.
8. Secures records from previous admission as needed.
9. Accurately enters orders into Meditech.
10. Faxes medication orders to pharmacy. Notes dangerous abbreviations and contacts physicians for nurses to get clarification. Notes time called in margin of physician order sheet.
11. Prints off unit bed roster and census repots at the beginning of each shift to be kept as unit log.
12. Prepares chart for discharge and assures chart is complete. Compiles all discharge paper work and places forms such as page one etc in envelope for pick up. Faxes paperwork to facility as instructed.
13. Enters discharge and into computer and notifies the administrative manager/bed flow coordinator.
14. Notifies administrative manager of unit activities such as, bed changes, deaths, room closures, etc.
15. Prepares chart for transfer and copies as needed.
16. Accurately files test results in a timely manner.
17. Reviews Kardex daily with charge nurse for daily lab work that needs to be discontinued or re-entered into Meditech.
18. Copies documents as requested for unit personnel.
19. When covering on other units, the float secretary is responsible for completing priority duties such as admissions, discharges and other items as identified by nurse manager/charge nurse.
20. In the event of a patient discharge or death, inform the appropriate departments, obtain necessary forms and puts charts in order.
21. Increases knowledge and use of hospital computer system as new programs are developed.
22. Maintains and orders clerical supplies for the unit as directed by nurse manager.
23. Reports broken equipment enters work orders into Meditech and calls outside vendors to pick-up specialty beds.
24. Reports to and begins work promptly.
25. Gives adequate notice of absenteeism or tardiness.
26. Appearance is professional in accordance with the dress code.
27. Asks appropriate questions within job description, if an unfamiliar circumstance
28. Performs work of equal skills, effort, and responsibility as directed.
29. Performs other duties as assigned
|Required Knowledge & Skills:|
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Knowledge of medical terminology, preferred.
|High School Diploma|
|Minimum one-year working of clerical experience preferably in the medical field. Computer skills required. Knowledge of medical terminology preferred.|
|Knowledge of Meditech preferred.|